Monday, January 23, 2012

Looking Ahead

Today is my Grandson Marks birthday. Eleven years ago he came into my world. What a blessing. Grandchildren really are the best. They truly are the reward for not killing your own. It is sometimes difficult to remember a time without him. I wish the very best for him today and always.
Mark Reichart
There are two sides to every story. The flip side to this one is, I have been a Grandfather for eleven years now ! Holy mackerel ! For more than a decade now I have been known as Grandpa. Before that I wasn't . Make sense ? Prior to that it wouldn't have been unusual for me to be playing video games,baseball or maybe even riding a bicycle. When I do those things now it is, " Grandpa is riding a bike ! " Like that is an event or something. Should I mention going out to dance, the grandkids look at you and laugh. You can dance ? It is all pretty amusing.
When I am at work I sometimes run into the kids Mark goes to school with or that are on his sports teams. They will say stuff like, " Hey Mom, there is Marks' Grandfather. " I'll say hello to them and sometimes notice how their Mom or Dad is the same age as my own kids. They will occasionally respond with, Hello Mr. Reichart. That is very nice and polite but they are in there thirties and calling me sir ! What does that say about my age ?
Yes there are two sides to every story. I wouldn't change a thing about this story. No Sir ! I love being Grandpa. I love all my Grandchildren. Each and every one is a treasure. I love watching them grow. I take note of each milestone they pass.
 I don't spoil them, I give them freedom. Freedom to express themselves and whatever tools they need to accomplish that. I can act as moderator in disputes. I have to remind my own children about the wisdom of Grandfathers. Sometimes they forget. Yup, I'd have to say I'm looking forward to being a Grandfather for many more years to come. Maybe one day to each the exalted state of Great Grandfather ! 

1 comment: