Thursday, January 5, 2012

Jobs

Occasionally I hear people talking about loving their jobs. That is a wonderful thing when that happens. I was fortunate enough once to have a job that I could honestly say I enjoyed. Love is a bit of a strong way to describe it for me. Nevertheless, I think it is a rare thing when that happens. You have to have the right combination of enjoying the task you are doing, doing it in the company of people you enjoy and being in the right location. These three elements don't often combine.
A fourth element,substantial rewards ie: money goes a good ways to helping that process. It is usually those that are making good money that make claims to loving their job. I'm not saying that is always the case but a good portion of the time it is. If I'm making say, six figures, I can afford to be happy with my job. If I'm making minimum not so much with the happiness factor.
In an ideal world we would not be concerned with the financial aspect quite as much. But I live in the real world and so it is a factor.That is not to say that there aren't enjoyable parts to a job,any job. I can find personal satisfaction in doing almost any task. Doing the job right is an accomplishment. Not just when someone is looking but just doing the job right. Sometimes I just enjoy the company of the people I work with and that can make the job endurable. For me, on a personal level, I like doing a variety of tasks. I could never be happy just repeating the same action over and over. I need new challenges to keep me interested. I also prefer working independently. I live by the old adage," if you want something done right,do it yourself." I will admit that is only with a task that I really care about. If I don't want to do it I have no problem relinquishing it to another.
I've had a job and worked since I was about fourteen or so. Full time,part time and sometime. I've had jobs that I really enjoyed and ones that I had a real distaste for. One job I had I out and out quit ! Just said goodbye and left ! My dislike for that job was that strong. All the others I  gave proper notice. One place I worked moved their business to China. I've never enjoyed changing jobs. It is always the same deal. Just like in school you're the new guy. You have to start all over forming relationships. I'm looking forward to retirement. The only people I will have to deal with then, I already have a relationship with ! But I can't see that happening any time in the near future. I can't really see it happening at any time,truth be told. I expect I'll just keep on working until I just can't do it anymore. That is just my lot in life. As anyone who knows me my general attitude is," it'll be alright."
I think you can measure how much you like your job with one thing. Would you,do you do it as a hobby ? If you do, you probably love your job. Now if I could just get a job were all I had to do was give opinions and advice and get paid big bucks I could learn to love that ! In the meantime I'll just keep writing this blog and wait to be discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment