Monday, January 16, 2012

Books or Nooks

I heard some speculate about doing away with traditional text books and replacing then with nooks or kindles. The feeling is it would prove to be a cheaper alternative. On the surface it would certainly seem that way. Printed and bound books are expensive. Keeping them up to date is also a problem. It is an interesting thought. No more book bags just a small carry all would suffice. I have mixed feelings about it. Having never used a kindle or nook I wonder about the effect on the eyes if used for a long period of time. And I wonder about battery life. Will they last an entire day ? I have seen the disapperance of the chalk board. Are text books next ?
I'm not opposed to this plan as far as text books go. They do become outdated gather quickly and require replacing. If the nook or kindle is a viable alternative cost whys,why not. I wonder would the school provide them ? Or would the government have to offer some plan to parents to purchase them. I just don't know enough about the whole deal. The "book" is a digital download that much I know. Can a nook or kindle hold all the necessary books or would several be required ? Can you transfer the book from the kindle to another device ?
As far as books go I love to read. I also love the feel of a book in my hands. There is something comforting about that. The turning of the pages. Older books have a warmth to them. I'm not sure why that is but I know it to be true. Is it the heat left over from being held ? Sounds a little crazy doesn't it ? When we were small books with pictures and few words were are favorites. Later we came to love the written word and realize the author could draw those pictures in your mind. Would a kindle do the same ? As far as the written word one would have to say,yes. As to the holding of the book I'm not sure about that. I would have to spend time reading off of one to make a judgement. To be honest though, I think I have formed a preconceived opinion, and it would not be a fair and unbiased judgement.
And the last thought I have concerning this is an aesthetic one. Books sitting on a shelf add warmth to a room. If I could I would have a whole library of beautifully bound volumes. All the good homes have books. Always have. I sure hope that books don't enter the realm of just being a collectors item. Or that new bound books become something only the wealthy can afford. Also giving a book as a gift is something I've been known to do. Writing a brief note on the inside jacket adds that personal touch. Can't do that with a nook.
They call it progress. I think it is a good thing. I don't think I'll live long enough to see this happen but you never know. Change happens before our eyes ! You just have to pay attention. Or in this case. wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment