Saturday, January 21, 2012

The times of our lives

The first camera I can remember was a Kodak " Brownie." This small box shaped camera was an engineering marvel. You could look down in the top and see the view through the lens. After snapping your shot you had to wind the film to advance it to the next frame. You could attach the flash for use indoors. The flash pan was almost the size of some of our satellite dishes today. I can remember Dad hollering at us kids to be careful with that camera. We weren't allowed to use it ,only to bring it to him. He took most of the pictures. Picture taking with the " Brownie " was a mans job.
Now I hear that Kodak has filed for bankruptcy protection. Who would have ever though such a thing was possible. Kodak has captured our " moments " and " the times of our lives ", seems like forever. Awhile back Kodak manufactured the last roll of Kodachrome film. To the professional photographers that was a very significant event. There was something very special about that film. You would have to be a pro to understand it and I'm certainly not in that category.
The digital age has taken its' toll on Kodak. It is very difficult to compete against those foreign manufacturers. There are many brands to choose from now and all make a model for every budget and level of skill. As to the making of film itself the foreign competition has hurt them as well. Fuji-film comes to mind. I'm dating myself but I still look for the yellow boxes that contain Kodak film. I just purchased a Kodak all in one printer. It promises to use the least amount of ink in the industry. I'm hoping that proves to be true. It does seem better than the HP I used to have. The cost for the cartridges is less.
 I have had  a Kodak digital camera for a number of years now. It has been a reliable little device. It came with the easy touch software for push button transfer of pictures to my computer. The camera itself I am pleased with, the software not so much. That camera has been replaced for everyday use by a Nikon. The Nikon has far more features and a much greater battery life. For the price there is no comparison. Sadly,the Kodak camera falls short.
I'm hoping that Kodak can somehow stay in business. I would hate to see an Iconic firm like that fall to the foreign competition. After all Eastman-Kodak was on the leading edge of photography for generations. Kodak cameras and film have captured some of the most iconic moments in history. They have captured the likeness of some of the most famous and infamous. They really did record the times of our lives. They deserve to live on. 

1 comment:

  1. I so enjoyed taking photos with my old, film-filled Nikon..then the shutter locked and couldn't be repaired. I've had other cameras, but that was 'it' for me. From then on, I've used a digital by Cannon. It's a good little thing, but I sure do miss my film! Kodak was the best...and the company was the maker of the first camera I was gifted at the age of eleven. Will miss them if they really go under. I still have hope that they will rally!

    ReplyDelete