Sunday, January 29, 2012

Art or Craft ?

My daughter is law in a young trendy lady. Always on the cutting edge of the latest fashion and fad. Recently she discovered Pineterest. This is a new web site to share ideas,pictures and products. At least that is what Google says. Maria is a big fan. She was browsing this site and sent me a picture of a patio table. She said she thought of me when she saw it. In typical female fashion she thought it was cute.Looking at the picture what I saw was two pallets,some 4x4 spacers and a set of wheels. Not an unattractive combination. I remarked to my wife about how men see things differently. She saw a crafty patio table, I see two pallets.
But it is not just men and women that see differently. When it comes to art there is a big difference. Most of Picasso looks like he didn't finish the drawing to me. I've seen those " drip paintings " DeKooning is famous for and that is what I see. Paint just dripped and swirled all over the place. Makes no sense to me at all. I did see in a gallery three cue sticks suspended from strings. The artist had titled this work " dancing sticks " and was asking thousands for it. I just laugh.
I'm just into reality. I look at an object and want to recognize it immediately. Norman Rockwell comes to mind. When I see things I see their construction. What are they made of ? Often I say to myself, " I can make that. " I  have often wondered about those that claim to see things in those abstract paintings. Do they really see something there, or are they fooling themselves. Are they just trying to impress others ? I just don't get it.
I hear a lot about Folk Art nowadays. I like most of that. The objects are at least recognizable and in a lot of cases served a useful purpose at one point. Maria has a discarded ladder from a set of bunk beds standing in the corner. It has been decorated and serves as a sort of shelf. I have seen old double hung window frames leaning against trees in peoples yards. Not junk though, Art ! A lot of distressed paint is being used along with washed paint. Lanterns and candles.
 I think I could be a folk artist. I'll have to give it a try. That was called crafting at one time. When I was young we called it, " making do ". First I need to grow a beard and wear bib overalls all the time. I need to act a bit eccentric and develop some odd habits. Then when trying to sell my art invent some fanciful explanation about it. It has to mean something,doesn't it ? I'll have to give this career move some more thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment