Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Project

My Grand daughter had a school project to do. The typical report that we are all familiar with. She was assigned to do a presentation on Australia. She came from school very enthusiastic. After explaining what she wanted to do she asked, " can I get on the computer ? " Well, I couldn't help but remember when a project like that would have sent me to the library. At the very least I would have been getting the encyclopedia off the shelf. We had a full set on the bookcase next to the fireplace. We didn't have all the annual update volumes but the basic knowledge was there. She just went to Google and typed in " Australia. " The most difficult part was selecting which website to select. Information and images abounded. Seemed rather simple to me. I felt a tinge of jealously. These kids today sure got it easy !
Her Mom did buy her the obligatory tri-board. Pictures were printed and text added. I have yet to see the finished board,however. I'll get to see it at some point I'm sure. She has presented her report. I was amused by the use of the internet. She is in third grade. I shouldn't have been surprised by it though,all the lids use that resource. Her parents printed the pictures for her. I seem to remember cutting out pictures from magazines to use. On at least one occasion I cut a picture out of a text book ! That didn't go over too well.
The one thing that really took me by surprise was the presentation. She asked me if I would like to see her presentation. Sure I would. With that she reached into her book bag and pulls out a memory stick. " Put that in the computer,Grandpa. " Putting it into the USB port the computer brings it up. A Power Point Presentation ! I had heard of these . Probably even saw them before. But my Grand daughter, my in the third grade Grand daughter, is giving a Power Point presentation in her classroom. I have no idea how you do this. I have zero experience with this program. I have heard that corporations use this technology. I'm impressed.
The methods certainly have changed. The resources have changed. No more fumbling with those three by five cards. All the knowledge and resources they would ever need literally at their fingertips. Despite everything else you may hear,we are making progress. These kids today are pretty darn smart.
Morgan gave her presentation and by all accounts it was a success ! Way to go  !

1 comment: