Thursday, January 26, 2012

Well Meaning

I got up this morning and checked my Facebook wall. I think that is what you call it anyway. Or my home page, whatever, you get the idea. Up there in the left hand corner the little flag was showing that I had a message. Usually I love getting messages but this one was from someone I don't know. I am cautious about those messages but decided to go ahead and read it anyway. Apparently something I had posted elicited a response from this individual. It took me a few minutes to figure out what it was I had posted that created this. My first thought was it was something I had written about in a blog. That wasn't the case however. No,I believe it was a status I copied and pasted from another friend. This thought wasn't even my own. I do agree with its' message.
The status I am referring to was loosely based upon the nursery rhyme Mary had a little Lamb. I am not computer literate enough to copy and paste it into this blog but the " lamb " was a metaphor for God and the jest of the message was to put prayer back in school.
The person messaging me was apparently offended by this. I really believe this was just a case of message sent vs message received. To me the meaning was clear. This person seems to feel that I was advocating forcing religion in school. I can assure you all that I am not. I certainly don't think there is any thing wrong with saying a morning prayer. I see nothing wrong or offensive in that practice. Even when I was in school if you didn't wish to pray you were asked to sit quietly while others did. What's wrong with that ?
This response to that status took me by surprise. Have we become so " touchy,feely " about everything that we must abandon our basic tenets to satisfy others ? This country was founded on religious freedom. The freedom to practice whatever religion you wish, in whatever fashion you desire. That means we can practice our religion by saying a prayer in school should we so desire. It doesn't mean that we shouldn't say a prayer because it might be offensive to someone else ! Freedom is a two way street ! Should a person of the Muslim faith wish to get on their knees and pray in their fashion that is fine with me. If they wanted to do that in school ,I say fine with me.
All I'm saying is this, We are a Christian Nation ! Don't be surprised when we wish to pray or teach our beliefs to our children. No one is forcing anyone to do anything. I feel bad for anyone that cannot accept or at least understand these basic truths.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you know that I completely agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben,
    you might want to take a peek at my blog today as it was inspired by you.

    ReplyDelete