Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Growth

Was big doings here in Greensboro. A brand new Family Dollar store opened this past week. It is located a short distance up the road from the Save -A-Lot where I work. Construction was started before the holidays and the Grand opening was last Saturday. They had what is called a soft opening the Thursday and Friday prior.
I went on Friday to check it out. Everything clean and shiny new ! The wife and I walked around and checked it all out. It is a Family Dollar. A variety of items were marked with special pricing and some were not. I'd say the prices were about what was expected with a few exceptions. Most notably was the price for a gallon of milk, 4.90 ! Wow where did that come from that is over a dollar more than Save-A-Lot ! Highway robbery.
On Saturday when they had their official Grand Opening the radio station was there. They gave out gift bags. By all accounts it was a roaring good time. I stayed away to avoid the crowds ! An old fella like me could get trampled at an event like that. Things have settled down. I hadn't seen this much excitement since they put up that second stop light. Greensboro is a growing community.
It will be a lot more convenient for everyone. Before this store opened you had to drive chock to Denton almost seven miles away to go to the dollar store. And that is a Dollar General. But on the down side it is adding to the urban sprawl. Why now there are two more entrances and exists off the highway. That'll interrupt the traffic flow. Won't surprise me if there is an accident there in the near future. This could even lead to an additional signal light. I'm beginning to have misgivings about this.
Well there is no stopping progress. The people want more shopping. It is on the outside fringe of town so our downtown area is safe. Both stores and the restaurant. Whew that was close. Still I'm starting to feel a little closed in.


No comments:

Post a Comment