Wednesday, January 11, 2012

That's what I was told.

At least that what I was told. How many times have you heard that ? There are certain things that you learn from word of mouth. Traditions and myths. Old wives tales. The how and why of things. Sometimes these things get written down. Then,mysteriously, they get taken for fact. This is especially true about older things. Over time the story changes just like in the game of " postoffice."
The other day I was writing about living below the bridge and an area of town called the hook. I was just stating the story as I had heard it. I suppose I should have mentioned that fact. I have heard several versions of the story and  decided to go with what I feel is the most logical explanation.It is a personal decision and not to be taken as fact
I think a lot of this has to do with our desire to add a little something. If we can add a more personal slant to the tale so much the better. This is especially true if it can be associated with the beginning of something,the end of something, something a little outside of the law or risque ! If any of this happened a few generations back we like to be included. Think having a pirate in the family ! That is cool and we can not be held accountable. We tend to be proud of our bad boys.
When and how this area of town became to be known as the hook is not known for a fact. Other areas are well documented and the reason for their naming obvious. " Freetown " for example. The land was given to the town for free by a wealthy family. Self explanatory. As in the game, unless you are the first to hear it, it may or may not be what was intended.
 Names and/or descriptions come and go. Their meanings and sometimes the very location may change. The names come into common usage and over time change or even disappear altogether. Sometimes these names are rediscovered and used again. The original intent was lost and a new one assigned.

No comments:

Post a Comment