Friday, January 6, 2012

" If Only "

When we look back and remember the past and the opportunities missed we often finish them in our minds. The " if onlys' " creep in and imagination takes the place of reality. In this world things always turn out for the better. We are successful in our ventures and relationships. The girls never grow old and gray and the job is an ideal place to work. In this world our judgments are always correct and others follow our advice. We live happily ever after. " If only " is replaced by " I told you so. " I'm sure you have been to this world as well.
Since joining in on this social media (Facebook) I have run across many old acquaintances. A lot of old memories have been jogged. Apparently I'm not the only one that has aged or moved away from my birth home.
Comes as quite a shock in some instances. Going to the profile pages can be " interesting " to say the least. I never knew I went to school with so many Grandmas and Grandpas ! Myself, I got into that situation (being a Grandparent) real gradual like but these others were just overnight ! Last I knew they were cheerleaders or playing football. I'll admit I didn't recognize most by their current pictures. I can only imagine what they must think seeing mine. I'll take a moment to clear that up. No I didn't have a terrible accident or suffer from exposure to harsh chemicals ! I've just aged. I like to think of my grey hair as having a fine " patina " and the lines in my face store wisdom. Cameras lie !! Don't believe everything you see or hear.
But in the world of " if only " none of this ever happened. We all married our sweethearts,raised 2.3 children, had a successful career, and are now retired. Oh,we have a lake front cottage in the summer months and a place on the beach in Florida for the rest of the year. Our 2.3 children all married wonderful people and have 2.3 children of their own. The grandchildren come to visit Grandma and Grandpa and are always polite and well behaved. The only way to describe how they treat us is, " revered." That is how it all really went,isn't it ?
See, I told you so.
I think we all have an " if only " point in our lives. If only I had taken this job,if only I had stayed at this job, if only I hadn't or If only I had." If only" can present itself at any time. Recognizing this moment is the hardest part. And there are no do overs ! I enjoy visiting the world of "if only." It is a pleasant fantasy. I don't want to live there however, it sounds a little boring. I've always enjoyed the road less traveled !
At what time does your " if only " world begin ? Mine came at the age of twenty four. I made a decision then that I still reflect upon. It was a life changer that much is for sure. Whether is was a correct move or not is open to speculation. Arguments can be made for either side of the question. Given the knowledge I have now about the end result, I would not change that decision. That "if only " took me down a different path and one not always easy. It has all been worth it though. Now, "if only " I could win the lottery ! LOL

1 comment:

  1. I think my only 'if only'moments are those that come when I realize how little wisdom,or pre-thought, I used in many decisions. Things would have been very different, but how? I don't know. Would I have learned the same lessons as I have ? Maybe not...but who knows?

    ReplyDelete