Saturday, December 31, 2011

Every Year

Another year has come and gone. Nothing of any great significance has happened in my world. I'm saying that is a good thing. As my dearly departed Grandmother was fond of saying," no news is good news." She was a wise woman and I would tend to agree with her. I get more calls when something isn't right than when they are. It always seems to be that way.
I'm sure there will be some of those year in revue shows on tonight. I'll try to catch at least one of them. I do need reminding a little more every year of just what happened.Once you reach fifty or so things tend to run together. Things that seem like they just happened yesterday turn out to be several years ago. And then there are those things I need to get around too. Apparently I didn't get around to them in 2011 so it will have to be 2012. Times flies by. In the big scheme of things a year isn't any big deal. What's the rush. Stop and smell the roses I always say.
My wife has a tradition of eating sauerkraut on New Years day. It will bring you wealth and health. I will say that I have remained healthy but still waiting on the wealth part. Of course, in all fairness, she never said the " wealth " would be money. Having her for a wife is a real " treasure " so perhaps the wealth part is true also ! I have been blessed that much is sure. I hear others insist on eating black eyed peas. Some say your house must be cleaned because the way it is on New Years day is the way it will be all year. We have done this with varying success over the years.
Resolutions ! I don't make them. Never have,never will. I make changes and adjustments in my life as I see fit. I am not slave to a calender. I get the whole, it is a new year thing. Wipe the slate clean and start new. Well don't forget the lessons of the past or you are doomed to failure ! If you want to make changes in your life,you have to want them ! You can't do it for anyone else or because it is a new year. Won't work ! That is exactly why most resolutions are not kept.
As far as celebrating the new years' arrival it will be a low key affair for me. The wife and I will snack on some crackers and cheese and a few chips. Have a tall cold glass of Pepsi and attempt to stay awake. In years past it may have been different. I can neither confirm or deny parties that we may or may not have attended. We never did a whole lot for New Years as far as going out. No particular reason for it, just didn't. I don't think we missed much either. Since moving to Maryland I noticed their tradition, at least here in Greensboro. At midnight the traditionalists fire every gun they own. Shotguns, handguns, and rifles. I've been here for over twenty years and that tradition is dying. I'm not sure if there are fewer guns or people just don't do that anymore. It is a bit of a dangerous tradition. People drinking,celebrating and firing weapons ! Never heard of anyone getting hurt though. Probably a good thing to stop that tradition before a tragedy does occur.
I'm thinking 2012 will be a great year. Call it a hunch. I like the way it looks on paper. In even years I turn an odd number of years. I'll be 59 in 2012. That's better than being 60 ! LOL I don't know what it is. New Years eve just isn't the same without Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians. The last year Guy played was 1976. The Royal Canadians played two more years. Did you know that their recording of Auld Lang Syne is still the first song played on New Years day in Times Square ? Hopefully that tradition never dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment