Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Breaking a trust

I have tried to avoid this subject during the holiday but can no longer keep my fingers still. It is concerning that soldier on trial for leaking  military secrets.Once again I find myself in amazement. He is guilty of this by his own admission. What I find amazing is that there are supporters outside the base where the trial is being held. How any American can justify his actions is beyond me entirely. The fact that the defense team is trying any and all tactics is not surprising. That is, after all, their job. I watch the news coverage and remain amazed.
I am retired from the U.S. Navy. At one point in my naval career I held a secret clearance. I had access to all kinds of information. At the time I was working on nuclear powered submarines. So,as you can imagine, this subject is especially touchy with me. I was trusted by my government and I can assure you I never broke that trust. The fact that he did is inexcusable ! Had he done it under torture, I could understand. But to leak thousands of documents and video to Wikileaks ! I'm sorry I can find no justification for that.
The defense team says he feels like a woman trapped in a mans body. So what does that have to do with it ? The defense team says it is the governments fault for allowing him access to the information. Really ? So are we to believe that possible transgender people are a bad security risk ? Guess we should have asked. Or he should have told. We can do that now you know ? This band of supporters proclaim him a hero. Excuse me,he is a traitor to our government ! Their position is the information he leaked did no damage. Not the point,people !!! Whether that information was damaging or not is definitely not the issue. He signed seven separate documents pledging not to reveal any information of a classified nature. HE DID ! How anyone,other than his own Mother,could support him is beyond belief. There is no case to try here. The man is guilty as charged. The only thing that needs to be debated here, is the appropriate sentencing. My position on that is the sentence needs to be meaningful and a clear message sent. Traitors are not coddled in our country ! If you have issues, I'm sorry for you, but it will not excuse you.
And that my friends is how I feel about that. I'm adamant about it too ! There is no legitimate excuse for his actions. None. His actions have done nothing of benefit to anyone. His actions have not and will not change the way anything is done. His were the actions of a coward !
I just can not understand this mentality. Remember when one of the Dixie Chicks said something bad about our President and our country ? It cost her her career and she is pretty much ostracized  from main stream society. I'm not defending her actions but she didn't tell any secrets ! Never heard about any supporters protesting on her behalf. Do you remember what she said ? She said she was ashamed President Bush came from Texas ! That's about it.
Now this Private in the Army leaks thousands of documents and he has supporters ? Something wrong with that picture my friends. The defense team says he has a mental disorder. Gender Identity Disorder. Thought the official position on that sort of thing was that it was alright. Isn't that why the repeal of don't ask,don't tell ? Can't have it both ways you know. Is it a mental issue or not ? Whatever the case, he is guilty !!
Call me old school,hardnosed,bigoted,biased or whatever but I don't believe in breaking promises !! He was trusted and promised (7 times) in writing to not release classified information. He Did. End of Story.

No comments:

Post a Comment