Saturday, December 3, 2011

Print It

I rarely print pictures any more. Just the occasional special shot or two. Rarer still do I order any prints. Oh, I post them on Facebook and send them in e-mail. I keep them in files on the computer. I have made slide shows with them. I archive them to CD'S. In short I work with them a lot.
Well,for Christmas this year I had a little project in mind that required printing some pictures. Weighing the cost of printing them myself against the cost of having them done, it was a no brainer. CVS pharmacy offered 25 free prints for joining their group. I had to agree to receive offers and such, but what the heck. I went for it.
I selected the photos I wanted,uploaded them to the nearest CVS pharmacy, received a confirmation e-mail and that was that. The pictures were processed and waiting for me to pick up right on schedule. Amazing ! It all worked just the way it was supposed to.
After getting my prints, in a familiar white envelope just like the old days, I did what everyone does. I sat in the parking lot and quickly checked them out. It is a universal thing. There is no waiting to get home to look at those prints. Of course I already knew what to expect. Before uploading them I had edited and enhanced them. Removed the red eye and adjusted exposure levels. Some where cropped. Still, the urge to check them was there. Remember when you hadn't seen them before developing ? When you had an idea of what they were and high expectations ? Remember when you first saw them ? Man,that is a good one and rats, that one didn't come out. I think if you achieved a ten per cent keeper level you were doing great. I still have tons of old snapshots that aren't very good.
I have to say it is something I hadn't thought about. I can't say I have missed it. I do know this. It felt great to go pick up those prints. It was a short trip down memory lane. Getting the envelope and the anticipation. Looking at those shots again,only this time on paper. They seem so permanent on paper. Tangible proof that you were there. I'm going to do that again,sometime.
I have talked about preserving digital images in the past. To be sure to make back up copies of them. Store them on CD's or SD cards. I was also concerned about future generations being able to read that digital data easily. Like playing a 45 RPM record today. We can certainly do that but how much of a hassle would it be for you to do that ? Now I'm thinking I should select only my finest shots. The ones most representative of the time and era. Compile these and have them printed. Back to the old school. Maybe, just maybe, the old way is the better way. It'll be a project for the new year. Something to consider and ponder about. Which shots to save on paper ?

1 comment:

  1. I am one of these rare younger people who prefers paper to digital. I like old things, I like to touch things and I'm worried that a hundred years from now who will be able to touch my past?

    ReplyDelete