Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Belief

Will I ever see Santa again ? After writing yesterdays blog entry that was the thought on my mind. I hadn't really missed him when my own children outgrew that. In fact, never gave it a thought. I must be getting sentimental in my old age. Or am I becoming senile ? Whatever the case, I went to work with that thought on my mind.
I can't say I honestly remember seeing Santa when I was a kid, or remember the time I realized he wasn't " real." I'm sure I believed in him. But that was a long time ago. I can recall when my own children believed. I remember the excitement of making their list for Santa. I remember taking them to see him with that mixture of fear and anticipation. That too,was a long time ago. The last ten years I have had the Grand children to bring Santa back to life. That jolly old elf, so lively and quick, has been here to bring the Christmas spirit alive. Now he is absent once again. He left when Morgan said,Goodbye. A little bit of me went with him. When you see your children grown, and their children almost grown, it gives you pause. Time to reflect upon the passing years and view them with a different eye. They say you only miss what is gone. I'm beginning to understand the full implication of that seemingly simple statement. It is a sobering thought.
Christmas is to celebrate the birth of the Christ. When I was young we always had "Jesus Birthday Party " at church. The meeting hall would be decorated and carols sung. The story of the birth of Jesus was told. A huge birthday cake was there for all to share in the celebration. Following that, Santa would arrive with the ringing of the sleigh bells. Presents were handed out all around. It was a wonderful time and one I'll treasure the memory of.
Jesus is to remind us of love. Love for our fellow man and peace on the earth. That is universal. It is only right we should celebrate his birth.
All that being said, I'm going to miss the big guy. For Santa only lives within the hearts of children. The pure innocence of youth. As long as the children believed, he was alive for me as well. Now , like a favorite toy that has been outgrown,he has been put aside. With good luck and fortune I may see him again. I may have Great Grand children ! I sure hope so. It would be great to believe once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment