Saturday, December 17, 2011

Laddie Boy

I was given a dog for my fifth birthday. Dad figured every boy should have a dog. I agree. The dog I was given was of no special breed. A " Heinz 57 " we used to call it. That's from the Heinz 57 varieties of pickles advertisement. In some ways he resembled a collie. His right front leg was a little deformed but it didn't seem to bother him any. I think Dad chose him for that very reason. My father liked an underdog ! Pun Intended. When he ran, that leg kinda went out to the side and forward instead of straight. He could still run pretty darn fast, even though most turns had to be made to his right, so as not to put much strain on that bad leg. I would take advantage of that knowledge when playing with him.
 In his younger days he would occasionally catch a small rabbit or squirrel. He would place them on the front step and sit there proudly. He didn't eat them or chew them up, just caught them,dispatched them and displayed them. I usually wound up burying these trophy's out in the woods.
I named him Laddie Boy. Why that name was chosen I haven't a clue. It just was. I can take no credit for training this dog. That credit goes to my Mom. She taught him well. He was an intelligent little guy. He would come when called,every time no matter what ! He would also sit,lie down and stay put on command.Another trick was to shake hands. Gimme your paw,I would say, and he would offer that crippled right leg. Laddie didn't bark at strangers much and I never saw him bite or attempt to bite anyone. And like a lot of pets from that time, he roamed free. He stayed outside when the weather was favorable and slept in the back room when it was not. It was always his choice. If he wished to be in, he would sit by the door and wait for you. Simple as that.
Laddie Boy was a creature of habit. He went to the school bus stop with me every day. At first he wanted to ride the bus and I would have to tell him," stay." After awhile he quit trying to get on the bus. He would be there in the afternoon when I got home. Over a period of time I came to know his daily routine.
After the bus, he would go to my Aunts house. She lived just down the road a ways and saved bones for him. Laddie went there for his morning treat and rested there awhile. Following that a trip to the local garage was in order. Why he went there I can't be sure but I know for a fact that he did. Got hit by a car crossing that street once. He got banged up some and had to go to the vets but seemed no the worse for wear after a week or so. After that he would stop at the edge of a road,look both ways,and quickly run across ! It was funny to see him do that. Then a trip to a friend of Fathers for an afternoon snack before meeting the bus.
When school wasn't in session his routine changed. He would follow me anywhere. Didn't matter if I was walking ,running or riding a bicycle he would follow along. I would take trips uptown, a distance of three miles and he would just run alongside. I was always proud of the fact I could tell him to stay and he would wait outside the shops' door. He would just sit and wait. To say he was loyal and faithful is a vast understatement.
I was twenty years old and returning from an overseas deployment. When I arrived home Laddie Boy wasn't there to greet me. My father told me he had died the day before. He was lying in the basement wrapped in his favorite rug and blanket. I buried him under the big old pine tree in the neighbors yard. I went alone to do this task and I alone was the last to see him. Dad figured a boy had a right to bury his dog in private like.
 It was the tree he had run to after being struck by the car. It was also the tree he liked to lie under on hot days. I can still see him lying there.
 I left no marker on that spot,only a piece of my heart, and my childhood memories. I figured the tree would be his marker. The last I knew that tree was still standing, giving Laddie Boy shade in the summer and warmth in the winter. I'm certain he is waiting for me . All the way to the end, He was a good dog and that's all I have to say about that.
Laddie Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment