Monday, December 26, 2011

One Day

Time to start packing away the memories of Christmas past. I'll be adding a few items to the collection and throwing others away.With each passing year the collection does get culled somewhat. I think I may be the opposite of most in that regard. Instead of collecting a ton of decorations and adding each year, mine are getting fewer. But more so every year, each one has more meaning to me. I love to see them appear but the time has come to put them away again. I don't like for them to wear out their welcome !
New Years eve has never been a big event for me. Even in my wilder, younger days I was just never" into it. " I'm not much of a fan of crowds in the first place. For many years I watched Guy Lombardo and the Royal Canadians perform. Following that loss, Dick C larks' New Years rocking eve. In the last few years I haven't stayed up to midnight at all. Hardly seems worth the effort. The new year will arrive whether I'm there to greet it or not.
I do enjoy watching all the " this year in " shows. I'm always surprised by some of the things. Did that really happen this year ? Seems like so long ago. And those events that seemed so momentous at the time that I had already forgotten about. Strange thing about time, how it can travel so fast on one hand, but seem so slow on another.Where did this year go ? My Mom always says, " the older you get ,the faster time goes by." I would have to agree with that statement. I'm thinking that is why us older folks become more sentimental. We are learning to stop and smell the roses ! So many things we should have enjoyed years ago that we can now only enjoy in our memory. I don't want that to happen anymore !
My thinking is this; Christmas day should also be New Years day ! One holiday. My reasoning behind this is very simple and ,at least to me, logical. In the beginning there was the word. And the word was God. God sent his only begotten son to earth to save us all from sin.So therefore, by deduction we can know that that was the beginning for us. God has always existed and you can't put a date on that. So Christmas day is also the New Year. New life was brought to man in the form of a babe wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger. Talk about your Christmas present ! From that moment on time began anew. A new year ! I hope you can see the logic there.
Whenever and wherever you chose to celebrate the new year, take the lessons of the last with you into the new.As for me I'll be sitting in my living room and watching some of those shows. Maybe I'll make it to midnight but I doubt it. Have to go to work in the morning. Not concerned with being hung over by drinking too much Pepsi and eating a cheese ball but I get tired ! I need to rest. Easter is just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment