Thursday, December 8, 2011

Privacy Please

It is indeed a ever changing social world we live in. Over the years things do change and not always for the better. I have been known to rant on about some of these changes. There are others where I don't really have an opinion. And there are still others I just find humorous.
Recently I was standing in the checkout line. There is always interesting stuff displayed there along with the headlines from The Globe and Enquirer. I read somewhere this is a tactic of the retailers to get you to " impulse " buy. I was scanning some of these items and noticed this long thin box. Now I've seen those boxes before.They are usually those pregnancy testers. This one, however, said it was an Ovulation predictor. Hmm, now that's different. I didn't realize one needed to predict such a thing. And if you did, would it be on impulse. Is that what you girls are thinking about ? I've since been told they make one to tell if you're fertile too. Is nothing left to chance anymore ? I saw in the news where one government bureau overruled the FDA on the Plan B pill. The FDA was going to allow it to be sold as an over the counter product but it still requires a doctors prescription. Not sure how I feel about that. Moral and ethical questions to be resolved there. I work with one young lady who is with child. She brought in her ultrasound three d images and they were astounding ! The clarity of the baby's features was truly amazing. Technology surely has advanced in that area. Crystal clear and no doubts.
You may wonder why I find an ovulation predictor funny. Or a pregnancy tester. Well,because the checkout line I was standing in was a dollar general. Not the place I would go for any medical tasting apparatus. I really don't think I would want to make any decisions based on a 99 cent test pen from the Dollar General. Let's just say my confidence level wouldn't be that high. I'm just sayin'. Perhaps they work just fine,I wouldn't know about that. Ovulation ? Is that something one should even mention outside a doctors office ? Just a little too much information for me,thank you. " I need a price check on a Ovulation predictor! "
Yes,it is a ever changing social world. In my youth one had to ask the druggist for a condom. They are displayed now in just about every 7-Eleven, corner market and drug store in prominent locations. The advertising for the various types,colors and material used for their manufacture boldly displayed. I'm thinking those " enhancement " products will be next. One advertiser says you should be taking them on a daily basis,so you will be ready,when the time is right. Don't they make a predictor for that ? Guess not. That would be a medical miracle. Predicting what a woman wants. LOL. Couldn't resist that line.
Social attitudes do evolve over time. I, for one, am not always comfortable with them. Some things need to be kept private. I am not comfortable discussing my intimate social habits with the girl at the checkout counter. I don't want them to know when I have a medical issue either. You don't need to know about any fungus that may or may not be growing upon my body. Some people will readily discuss any of these things with anyone. Some think it makes them mature and grown up. I don't agree. Just Sayin'.


1 comment:

  1. I don't like the way my generation talks about sex.It makes me uncomfortable. Don't feel so old, I don't think it's so much an age thing as it is a modesty thing.

    ReplyDelete