Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Snow for Christmas

Tomorrow is winter ! That's official. The temperature here in Greensboro is unseasonably warm,in the fifties. Christmas is only four days away and no chance for snow. Looking like Santa will have to use those bogie wheels on the runners to his sled. On the up side, the roof won't be too slippery. I used to think about that when I was a kid. Afraid Santa would slide off the roof and drop the bag of gifts. Surely he wouldn't have had time to make new ones !
Following Christmas and New Years there is nothing happening for quite a while. Valentines day is just a quick passing deal. A card and a box of candy , good to go ! As soon as it turns winter we start looking for the spring. People are never satisfied are they ? Me and bitter cold never did get along. I liked going sledding and ice skating but never liked the cold. If my feet get cold, I'm done. I can tolerate my hands being a little cold but not my feet ! Guess I really am a tenderfoot ! I remember as a small kid making my brother carry me home from ice skating because my feet were too cold to even walk ! Yeah,holler and whine enough and your brother will get tired of hearing it. Thanks bro for saving my life ! I would have just sat there and died.
Like most New Yorkers as I age I grow more cold intolerant. That's why so many move to Florida. It is a medical condition and should be covered under Medicare. Moving expenses, buying white belts and golf carts should be deductible ! It's just a fact. Alas, it is not, so I'm stuck here in Maryland. It is as close to Florida as I have managed to get. Maybe the next administration will take action on this problem.
I do enjoy the snow. Looking at it. It is a beautiful sight when it is fresh and clean. It is also fun to watch the Grandkids play in it. I don't mind building a snowman with them or throwing a few snowballs. I will admit the best part is hot chocolate after coming in. I never enjoy the cold crisp air ! It is always, well cold. Some say it is invigorating. All it ever does for me is make me want to get back inside. It will make me move faster that much is for sure. No fooling around.
The 21st of December marks the beginning of Winter,usually. It is also a day of momentous proportion. My sons Kevin and Kenny were born on this day. That was thirty six years ago. Thirty five winters. So God saw fit to give me something to create a balance between facing the winter and just being depressed. The boys have made the winters bearable for me. God does work in mysterious ways. And now I have the Grandchildren to smooth the path.
The first day of winter. Only four days till Christmas. Hope we get snow for Christmas !

No comments:

Post a Comment