Friday, December 30, 2011

An Interesting Life

I have had a few people suggest I write a book. I'll admit I have often considered it myself. I'm a great admirer of the printed word and the permanence of it intrigues me. I figure the few that have suggested this are just being polite and kind. I do appreciate those sentiments. I even have a title in mind. I wonder if any of the great authors ever started with just the title ? I suppose writing a book is like any other task. First you have to start it.
Assuming my title is the basic building block I should start there. The main problem lies in the fact that this book has to be interesting. Not interesting to me, but to others. Why would anyone want to read my book ? That is the fundamental question I need to answer. It is that question that is the roadblock.
I figure one should write basically what one knows. I am an expert in only one area, me. And so it follows that my book would be about me. Therein lies a problem,how to make that an interesting story. Thus far I wouldn't consider my life and experiences very interesting. I'm just your average Joe, living an average life. Nothing extraordinary or unusual. There may be a story in there somewhere but I haven't found it. Yet.
I do believe everyone has a story to tell. Each of us are unique and live our lives in a unique way. Opinions vary and so do perceptions. No one sees things quite the way you do. The problem lies in the telling of the tale. I would want my book to be as truthful an account as possible. I never was much good at making up stories but I've been told I can tell a pretty good one. I've made some questionable choices in  my life and don't really want to discuss them in detail. ( The interesting parts) So I am left with the dull and boring. Oh,it's a dilemma alright. I would need to locate some deep and provocative original thoughts. Mostly I just repeat what I have heard from others or learned from experience. I have tried being a bit of an activist but got labeled a troublemaker instead. Once I tried to start a fashion trend but everybody just laughed. A few of my closest friends became concerned for my mental health ! I even tried offering advice, but was just called a busybody.
I'll have to continue to mull the whole thing over. Surely there is a story in there somewhere. I knew it when I was a kid. I should have been a pirate. Now there is an interesting life. Just bad timing I guess. Now if I could just win the lottery,that would be interesting ! Ok, scratch the pirate idea and start buying lottery tickets. As soon as I win, I'll start writing. Nah, when I win I'll just hire one of those ghost writers. That's an interesting idea. That way my story could be embellished just a little bit, and I wouldn't be lying because I could blame it on him/her. I'm liking this plan .


No comments:

Post a Comment