Sunday, December 4, 2011

Getting the Feeling

Last evening was the Christmas parade and lighting of the town. It was a swell parade, complete with a marching band. My Grand daughter was in it with her Girl Scout troop. The air was  brisk but comfortable enough for walking. This parade is one of the things I enjoy about living in Greensboro. There is something special about a small town Christmas parade. We still say Christmas and still make many references to Christ being born. Displays of a religious nature are encouraged. And of course,seeing Santa riding on that firetruck at the end of the parade is classic !
My apartment is right on the parade route. I can stand on my porch/balcony and watch the whole thing unfold. The parade will normally last between ten and fifteen minutes. The Christmas parade doesn't involve too many outsiders. Our other parades will have fire companies from surrounding towns and a few other groups not directly associated with Greensboro. The Christmas parade also did not include " The Rough Riders " a mounted equestrian group that is in every other parade. I suppose it is because of the darkness.
The Christmas parade brings in the holiday. I am a big lover of tradition. Santa makes his appearance in the Thanksgiving day parade but doesn't show up in town until the Christmas Parade. That is the way it was back in the old days. I like it. The town is decorated along with a number of homes. I admit I'm a little earlier than usual but even I'm ready. It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas !
Waiting for Santa

No comments:

Post a Comment