Sunday, December 18, 2011

For the last time

We had Grandparents day at the elementary school. My wife and I have gone every year without fail. This year the Grandson, Mark is in the fifth grade so it will be his last year. We had the obligatory photo taken. Yesterday I put that picture in a frame and set it on the desk. Then my wife remarked, well that will be the last time. What ? She went on to say Mark won't be in elementary next year, so it will be the last time we get our picture taken on Grandparents' day with him and his sister. I hadn't thought about that. She is right. And that simple sentence led me to think about all the last times I've had. Also led me to think what if I had known they would be the last time ?  Christmas 1970 would be the last  I enjoyed with Mom and Dad,at home. Had I known would it have been any different ? Pictures taken or mementos kept ? Or would it have put a damper on everything ? I'm a pretty sentimental guy when it comes to that now, but I wasn't then. What is it they say ? You don't miss it till it's gone.
Throughout most of  your life you wait to do things for the last time. Getting that drivers license put an end to walking or riding a bicycle anywhere, unless you want to. Moving away from home . I don't have to ask permission to come and go or be back at a special time. Doing something for the last time is not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes they do come with regrets though. I think the best thing to do is just enjoy every moment that you can. You never know when it might be your last. That's a sobering thought now isn't it ?
The thing is, lasts almost always are followed by firsts. Next year I'll take a picture of Mark going to middle school for the first time. My wife and I will have our picture taken with Morgan for Grandparents day without Mark, for the first time. I've got a lot of firsts to look forward to.
That's all I have to say this time. Next time I may have more. There will come a day when I write this blog for the last time, but I hope I'm not around to see it ! 

1 comment:

  1. That was a very insightful thought...the part about the last time introducing a first time. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete