Wednesday, December 14, 2011

My Presidential Platform

Yesterday afternoon this thought came to mind, " The cost of dependence upon the government is the loss of freedom."
I'm not sure why that particular thought came to mind, the subconscious is a tricky thing. It is not a crazy thought so I don't think I need to worry about that. Still I wonder where that came from.
My guess would be hearing all this " occupy " stuff and people demanding this or that from the government. I'm still trying to figure out why anyone thinks the governments owes them anything. Personally I want as little to do with the government as possible and I want the government to stay out of my life  too. Government is necessary for a society to function but should not control that society. Too much government and not enough independent action I say.
A lot of what is going on today reminds me of an old saying, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Seems like a whole lot of folks don't understand that principle. Why here in Maryland, I don't know about other states, you receive your welfare checks ( that's not the correct term anymore ) on a debit card. They call it an Independence card. Talk about your misnomer. I wonder if this was a government decision or spurred by protests from the recipients ? Just what is independent about that ? There are those that require this assistance and it is only right that they should receive it. That doesn't entitle them to do nothing however,at least not in my estimation. Government says they don't have to do anything. Just look for a job. It has been proposed that those that are able could perform some service to the community but that idea is rejected. Wouldn't want to offend anyone. Well let me tell you,some need it. Not that it would do much good as some could care less.
If I had my way there would be far less government intervention and rule. The government does not need to micro manage the details of my life. I am not willing to sacrifice my freedoms that easily. When you become dependent upon the government, or anyone else for that matter, you must surrender certain freedoms. Remember when you were a kid ? Does this sound familiar ? " As long as you are living under my roof,you will live by my rules." In other words if you are depending upon me for your support, you go by my rules. Simple as that.
I'm not an advocate of overthrowing the government or any other radical ideas. I do think we need to return to the original premise of this nation. Freedom and Independence. Justice for all. Doesn't say anything about everyone having the same amount of wealth or social status. Doesn't say, and a fair life for all either. No where did the founding fathers say, The Government will provide the people with everything !
I don't want or expect anything that I haven't earned. Being born an American is a privilege in itself. That privilege was granted by higher authority then man. Everything else I have to earn.

                                                   I'm Just  Sayin' 
President Ben in the oval office with George W !

No comments:

Post a Comment