Wednesday, December 7, 2011

About Pearl

Today is Pearl Harbor day. There isn't much I can say or write about that that hasn't already been said. Nevertheless,I will not be deterred. This event must never go unnoticed. The immediate result of that attack was tragic. So many lives lost. Historians say we lost our innocence on that day as well. It is the far reaching effect of that fateful day that I am reminded of. The deed took place twelve years before my birth. I grew up with the tales from that day. I have known many who served in the war that followed. I have watched many tributes to the fallen. I have heard tales of the hardships endured. I know of our ultimate victory against the perpetrators of that crime. It is all history.
There are very few living survivors of that attack. Their stories are well documented and preserved. It is only just and right that it should be so. They were the first victims but certainly not the last. What changes were wrought in the world because of this. A world war ! I had Uncles who served in the war. Thankfully they all returned home. My father was drafted into that war. He went and did his duty. And with that duty he was changed forever.
My father seldom spoke of that war. I would ask questions and get only vague responses. Even as a young man I would notice a strange look in his eyes when he did speak of it. I can only imagine the ordeal he went through. He flew in B-24 bombers. He was the flight engineer and top turret gunner. He flew in the Burma-China theater of operations. That he dropped many bombs is without question. He once told me he often wondered about those he dropped the bombs on. He had no qualms about bombing the enemy but the possibility of dropping them on innocent civilians haunted him. All he ever told me was the devastation was terrific. He always finished by saying, the war was necessary and I did only what was necessary.
I expect it was that way for the thousands of men and women who served during that time. Torn from their everyday existence by a dastardly deed. Their lives changed forever. It is much easier to speak of patriotism,honor and glory in retrospect. Much more difficult to live through it. This fight was one we had hoped to avoid. The Japanese wouldn't allow that. Everything changed. The world changed. President Roosevelt was correct in saying," A day that will live in infamy." The few remaining survivors of that day certainly haven't forgotten. May we as Americans and indeed as citizens of the world never forget.
Thank You Dad,thank you all.
My Dad with his flight crew, circa 1944

No comments:

Post a Comment