Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Brannock Device

When was the last time you went to a shoe store where they measured your foot ? Have you ever ? I was thinking about that the other day. When I was young we used to go to the shoe store. The gentleman working there would have you sit down and put your foot on that slanted little bench. Seating himself in front of you, he would place your stocking foot into that metal measuring device. Checking length and width he would announce what size shoe you required. You could tell him I wear a size eight, but he would still measure. And, he would still tell you what size shoe you needed.
I can remember those shoes all lined up on display.There was only one of each sitting on a small shelf. You picked the style you wanted to try on and the salesman went into the back room and emerged with them. Taking them carefully out of the box, a shoe horn would appear almost magically.Then he would put that shoe on your foot. Lacing them up for you he would ask you to walk about in them. " How does that feel ? " " Are they comfortable ? " If you were younger he would pinch at them to see where your big toe was. If you were satisfied, and he was, you could then purchase those shoes. " Will you wear them out ? "
The last time I was at a Walmart the experience was quite a bit different. I had some function to attend and needed some dress shoes. Not being something I wear often, I figured Walmart shoes would suffice. After finding a pair I sat down to try them on.There was a chair handy but no little slanted thing. No salesman in sight. Well,shouldn't be a problem. First box I opened had a pair of shoes in there alright, but they were two different sizes. Guess another customer had gotten them mixed up. Oh well, try another box. By this time a salesman ( sales associate I think them call them now) came past. I asked her if she worked in the shoe department.She said she did, so I asked her if she had a shoehorn. Giving me a strange look she replied, no, but we do sell them. Pointing in the general direction, she said they were over there. That was the extent of the sales associate involvement.
Ah,sometimes I miss the old days. We would sometimes complain about the salesman but now I miss them.The days when service with a smile was everyday. The people weren't any different back then,we all have our bad days, but they were a lot more civil. Now it is all about the buck. Charge as much as the market will allow and provide as little service as possible. " Self Service " is preferable. There is one concession I have yet to make however, I refuse to check myself out at the grocery store or Lowes ! I am buying your product, the least you can do is ring up the sale ! I'm not in that much of a hurry. I'll wait.
Yes,in this case I will bite off my nose to spite my face ! Stubborn ? Perhaps, but it only seems right to me.
Now, don't get me started on gas stations !

The Brannock Device
it measures length,width and arch of the foot
who knew ?
Strange name though,don't you think ? Brings up images I don't like to think about ! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment