Sunday, September 18, 2011

Friendship

I went to my Grand sons soccer game last night. The fields are located outside of the town of Federalsburg, Maryland. That area was a farmers fields not too long ago. A large open area void of any trees. Just the gently rolling grass.
Directly across the street is a farm. The gate you see in the picture stands there.
That gate looks unused to me. I particularily like the vines growing up and around the writing. Looks a little spooky in a way. In another way it looks a little melancoly. The simple word " Friendship " showing starkly against the sky. Given its condition it appears to be a Friendship forgotten or taken for granted.
At this point I am only speculating about this gate. Perhaps this area was once a small hamlet named Friendship. There is a small cemetery close by and a white building close by that. I saw no signs that this building was a church. I believe the Amish or Mennonites refer to each other as Friends. And there meeting places are Friendship Halls or something along those lines. Perhaps that is what this is/was.
I will have to look into this a little more to satisfy my curiousty. Speculation is often more fun than the reality. I will have to learn the story of this gate of Friendship. I can imagine a Stephen King novel coming out of this. The old cemetery across the way, the graves untended, and the overgrowth on the gate. Friendship neglected, promises broken. And now the laughter of the children playing ball in what was once the farmers fertile fields.Almost mocking in their gaiety. All the ingredients are there.
You know, they say if the ball enters the cememery you don't get it back ! The farmers son wanted to play ball, but his friendship compelled him to help the neighbor. That same neighbor has now sold the farm and left him. Left him lying in a cold grave forgotten. And he just wants to play ball !

No comments:

Post a Comment