Friday, September 23, 2011

A few thoughts

Yesterday, I attended the funeral of Florence. Yesterday, I was once again forced to face my own mortality and reflect upon that. We all live with the knowledge that one day we will pass and we are all are convinced it isn't today. The truth of the matter is, we do not know, and will never know when that fateful day arrives.
When I was a younger man, I didn't attend funerals. I was taken to my great grandfathers funeral when I was 14 and the sadness of it hit me like a brick. I did not go to another for many years. Now,being older I have already attended far to many. In the last few years it has become popular to call it a celebration of life. I'm sorry, I don't feel much like celebrating. My grief lies not for those who have passed, but for those left behind. To lose someone you love is a terrible thing. Even the knowledge that you will one day be reunited is little comfort. All you feel is the lose.
Now I didn't know Florence personally. Sadly I can not say I ever spoke to her. That does not matter. I could see the hurt in the eyes of those that knew her. I can share in their lose. There are no words to say,other than, I'm sorry for your lose. Empathy is the only way I can describe my feelings.
It is only right that we should grieve. And each of us must grieve in our own time and way. To attempt to reconcile the reality of death with the knowledge that they are gone from our world is not an easy thing. Surely, it will test your faith.
And so this morning as I faced my empty computer screen these were my thoughts. I have a feeling these thoughts are not complete. I will continue to ponder the mystery of life and death. I do know this much; although I never met Florence personally, she has somehow touched me. Through her sisters and her family she has touched me. I'm quite sure she is resting in peace and smiling down upon us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment