Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Season Five

Ballet season has started here in Greensboro. This is my fifth season. I took my grand daughter Morgan to her lesson last night. Saw some familar faces and met a few new ones. Sat on that familar wooden bench in the waiting area while waiting for the lesson to be over. Usually being the only male present it feels a bit awkward. To the other ladies,not me, I'm an old pro at this. I quickly join in the " gossip " session. Yes, men gossip too. We just call it " discussing."
You can hear the music being played, and the shuffle of their feet at times. You are not allowed to watch as this causes a distraction to the students. You can, however, get a peek through the window when the blinds are just right. The lesson lasts about 45 minutes and the time goes quickly. The first few lessons four or five of the Moms will hang around and wait. Soon though. they will just drop their children off, leave, and come back in time to pick them up. I almost always stay and wait. A few times I did run an errand but it makes me nervous. Guess that is why I'm a Grandfather not the father anymore.
When I picked Morgan up for class she was in her new dancing outfit. Black tights, a purple top and a sweat shirt. The sweat shirt had a large neck hole so it hung down off of one shoulder. Very hip ! No more cute little tutu. No more frills and lace. Her ballet slippers are black,she informs me she has outgrown the pink ones. She is growing up.
 After class I asked her what they would be doing at recital this year. She tells me in addition to ballet and a tap number they will doing a jazzy hip hop thing. Grandpa is not pleased ! Don't like the sound of that jazzy hip hop stuff ! Whats' next ? Pole dancing ? Well, I suppose it is the modern thing.
I remember well her first recital. That little tutu, dancing to, how much is that doggie in the window. When she was holding hands with all the other little girls it was just so darn sweet ! Time marches on. Excuse me, something must have gotten into my eye, it is starting to water a bit.
Looking forward to another year of dance and another recital.

No comments:

Post a Comment