Thursday, September 15, 2011

Smoke N' Leaves

So the mums are for sale now and the corn stalks bundled. Can only mean one thing. Fall is close at hand. We have had a few cool evenings and a few leaves are starting to turn. I'm thinking not only did Irene bring us flooding but she brought us an early fall.
My thoughts have already turned to pots of chili, Yankee pot roast, homemade bread and good hearty soups. All the comfort food group. Excepting for the addition of a coat or sweater my clothing changes little. I'm not a shorts kinds guy and I definitely don't wear sandals or flip flops ! In my world boots are still in style for made man footwear,to quote the Hag.
We played our soccer season opener the other night. The mosquitoes were out full force. Before the season ends blankets will be in order on the sidelines. Bring it on. I'm looking forward to the annual burning of the leaves. Love that smell. The mower will soon get its fall servicing and put away for the year. The weed eater hung in the corner. Snow shovels and rock salt near the door.
Years back this would have been canning time. Putting up tomatoes,beans,making pickles,jams and jellies. Slaughter the hog, can't feed him all winter long and some of the cattle too. Stock up that root cellar.
The Halloween items are on full display. That means little anymore as you see that seasonal stuff practically year round now. Won't be long before the pumpkins arrive though. I think the kids have all outgrown the trip to the pumpkin patch. And the big day, Halloween, has lost quite a bit of its appeal as well.
Yes, fall is coming on fast. The days are getting shorter. Time to start indoor projects. Maybe do a little crafting. Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. MMMM  MMMMM Good. The old saying is, " stop and smell the roses " but if it were me I'd say, " stop and smell the leaves burning ". Fall is the time to rake up the yard and relax a bit. Tidy up and put summer away.
The fall and winter months are more family time I think. At least they are stuck indoors with me more. LOL Grandpa isn't much for beachin' anymore and sports are something I used to do. Mostly I just watch. Get out the board games and put on the soup. Never had any but I'm thinking a good gruel was probably satisfying. Now a bowl of samp would sure hit the spot. Have to get some dried corn from somewhere and put a pot on. Now just where is that snuggie ?
And extra batteries for the tv remote.

No comments:

Post a Comment