Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Talkers

Having been a fan of the Seinfeld show I am aware of his bits about the " close " talker and the " low " talker. For those of you that may not be familiar with this he is talking about how some people like to get real close to you when they speak to you, and others that speak so softly as to be almost inaudible.
These episodes were recently brought to mind at work. You see,working at the grocery store you interact with lots of people daily. After a bit you get to know their habits a bit. The majority of our customers are repeat customers so you get that opportunity to interact with them.
Seinfeld was correct with the close talkers and low talkers. I have encountered them both. I would add a third category. The long talkers. Those people with the " gift of gab " as I have heard it described. Those persons that can not just say hello and have a nice day. No, they feel compelled to tell you the weather at the moment and the forecast for the next week or so. They will also tell you about weather their parents,grandparents,cousins and other distant relatives have experienced. There is no brief discussion with these people. I hope I'm never in a crisis situation with any of them.
Normally, I don't mind. I've grown to expect it from certain people but every once in a while you get ambushed. You may be in a bit of a hurry and they just don't stop. Not wanting to be impolite, I'm stuck there. With some, walking away does no good,they just follow along after you,all the while talking away.
Some,I try to avoid altogether. Opps,turn quickly and head down another aisle.
I really shouldn't complain. I know that I have a tendency to run on sometimes. I'm a bit of a talker. I'm aware of it and try not to annoy others with it. It is something I have to remind myself about. My mom would say, you just like to hear yourself talk. The underlining message there being, no one wants to hear it. LOL
It isn't that these long talkers don't have anything important or relevant to say. They just can't seem to get to the point of what it is they really want to say. Further explanation is always necessary to them. I understand their dilemma. That is why I'm a bit of a talker. All this was brought to mind with one little incident. I had a question. I knew a person that could tell me the answer. This person came into the store. We were quite busy at the time. I didn't ask the question because I didn't have time enough to listen to the answer.This person is a long talker ! I'll have to wait for another day when I have ten to fifteen minutes to stand and wait for the complete answer.
I really do need to figure out how long is a casual conversation ? Without seeming rude or cutting someone short. I like to talk,no doubt about that. Some days more than others and depending upon coffee consumption. I really don't mind the long talkers all that much,unless I'm in a hurry. They are a lot better than the complainers ! I get real annoyed with the complainers. If you don't like the price don't buy it ! If you hate Maryland, move. You don't like this and don't like that, stop complaining and do something ! And now you have me complaining about you complaining. The long talking complainers are the worst.
I'm thinking I should just make a new policy. A polite good day to you sir/maam and that is it ! Keep my mouth shut. Nah,never work. I couldn't do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment