Saturday, September 3, 2011

Music

Last night I took a little stroll down memory lane. Got on you tube and started listening to old songs. Some were big hits on the radio and others are rather obscure. I listen to just about everything. The soundtrack of my life would definitely be a mix.
As I was listening it occurred to me how many we lost too young. I wondered why this should be so. I know a lot were lost to drugs and alcohol. Others lost in accidents like plane crashes. I guess their lifestyle lead them down those paths. Fate.
I also wondered if they had not,would they have endured ? Would they have stood the test of time ? We will never know. Why are some one hit wonders and others just keep on playing ? Look at George Strait for example. Years after year he just quietly keeps on making hits.
Music is a reflection of the time. Always has been. People have always sung songs about everyday things. Love,work,hate and dreams. I suspect they always will. As we age we don't always understand what the kids are listening too. I know I have lost touch in that regard. I hear myself saying stuff like," that isn't music. " My father said that about the music I listened to in high school. In retrospect,in some cases,he was correct. In others he was not.
The music we listen to says a lot about us. It might be interesting to try to assemble a playlist from your life. Were would yours start ? Mine would begin with the songs my parents listened to. Mostly old country( not old to them) and some popular music. Hank Williams Sr and his contemporaries. Singers like Jimmy Dean and Johnny Cash.
I have been trying to play the guitar for almost forty years now. I have no talent for it. I am envious of anyone that can play any type of musical instrument. Making your own music is a wonderful thing. I strum and pick at it and can form a rudimentary tune but that is all. I still enjoy trying though and that is all that matters.
I just may one day put together that playlist. I may even record myself doing a few tunes. The grand kids when they are older may get a charge out of it. I'm sure they would be surprised by some of the selections on that list. I'm equally sure they would adopt a few of them for their own list. Good music knows no time.
Rock On !

No comments:

Post a Comment