Monday, September 26, 2011

Just a Theory

I was having a conversation the other day with a gentleman I had just met. He was a veteran,as I am,so we had that much in common. He had had some recent medical issues and we were discussing medical insurance and the VA. Naturally, the topic was how difficult it can be to get appointments, obtain the proper care and be approved for the care. If you have ever dealt with the VA you would know exactly what I mean. Frustrating and time consuming. As with all things military/government related it is a hurry up and wait situation.
Soon the topic turned to health care in general. It was during this part of the conversation that this gentleman began to explain a theory he had. He pointed out that there was apparently a rise in cancers,diabetes,obesity,ADHD,Bi-Polar,depression,stress and heart related disease during our generation. He went to explain that this trend coincided with the rise of McDonalds, Burger King and Wendys'. His theory is, it is these very fast food restaurants that are responsible for this rise in illness. It's the grease ! Not a bad theory, although I can't see the connection to the mental illness. He didn't expound on that though. He was a pleasant enough gentleman and I agreed with him that fast food is ruining America.
I will say that he did make me think. Then,while stocking the shelf at the grocery store I noticed something pecular. There inside a sealed bag of beef jerky was a small bad of desicant. Odd, I thought. Isn't beef jerky dried beef ? And if it is in a sealed bag, why is there desicant in there ? The desicant bag is clearly marked do not eat, so why even place it in contact with the food ? What else is coming into contact with our food ? I don't want to know. Probably wouldn't want to eat it anymore. Would have to move to a commune and grow my own.
I do notice a lot of the products we eat on a regular basis contain a lot of artifical flavors,colors and preservatives. I suspect a number of them can't be real good for you. Well, I'll just trust the government to decide. They always make good decisions. ( yeah,right).
Another thought I had was this. Not so many years ago we ate what was in season. Before Interstate highways and refrigerated trucks that was generaly the case. My Mom tells me that they would only get an orange at Christmas time. They were "imported" from Florida and quite expensive. That would have been in the forties. So we tended to eat what was seasonally available at the market. Fruits in summer and Fall. What we call comfort food now, stews and such, during the winter months. And all the light fare in spring. Maybe it is this mixing of the seasons that is causing all these issues. We have interupted the natural order of things. Deviated from the plan.
As for the mental issues that seem to be on the rise, there is only one thing to say : Television. It is television that has changed everything. Didn't have these issues before television. And it has risen propotionate to the advances in television technology ! Now we have reached the third dimensional level I tremble to think what may happen to socities mental health. This needs to be stopped. Well,it is only a theory.
I just love talking to people and hearing their slant on things. A different view as it where. I hear some pretty far out things from people. Some ,more than likely, think I'm pretty far out there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment