Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remember

I awoke this morning and like most Americans my thoughts went back ten years. A decade ago. I know exactly where I was when I heard the news. My wife called me on the phone. I couldn't believe it. My first reaction was anger ! Fierce,bitter anger. I wanted to strike out against someone ,anyone that was in any possible way connected to this deed. There was no one. Then sorrow. Sorrow at the loss of so many. Sorrow that the whole world had changed at that very minute. Sorrow followed by resolve. The resolve to never forget what happened that day.
My grandson Mark was just nine months old. Grandma was watching him. When I got home for lunch the television was on covering the awful aftermath of terror. I held him in my arms and thought to myself. What a world this little guy will grow up in. A world where terrorists do these unspeakable acts. On American soil ! As the years go by and he grows the memory will never fade.
Last year his fourth grade teacher authored a book about 9/11. It is written for elementary school students and illustrated with pictures drawn with crayon. A small pamphlet style book. Her name is Tamra Baurys. An excellent teacher.
Mark tells me Ms. Baurys showed him the book before publication. She told him the publisher wanted too much money to print it. Mark said ,I told her to try another one. Go on the internet and look.
Mrs Baurys did find a publisher. Tuesday night she had a book signing at the Greensboro library. As soon as I heard about it, I hurried right over there. I purchased a copy for Mark. Mrs. Baurys was kind enough to write a small inscription on the inside cover. It says, " To Mark, thank you for pushing me to publish this book.May you always be proud to be an American. Tamra Baurys." A very nice sentiment.
This small book will serve as a reminder to Mark. It will be placed in a safe spot and kept for many years to come. Mark is a somewhat serious young man and takes things to heart. He is quite aware of 9/11 and its significance. What a sad thing though that he has to know at all. That he must live with that knowledge. That he must live being ever watchful for terror activity. It is a different world now. Some of Americas innocence has been lost forever.
I will never forget. I'm sure Mark will never forget. I'm still angry ! No matter how mad I get I will not change. I will continue to live my American dream.
I will continue to trust in my God. Those responsible will have to answer to their God ! May he have mercy on their souls, I WILL NOT ! Our time on this earth is short in the big scheme of things. Death is an eternity. May those responsible spend eternity in regret. And that ain't long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment