Thursday, September 22, 2011

Being Remembered

We all want to be remembered. I believe that is a universal truth. No matter who you are, or where you live. No matter the time in which you lived. Ideology or religion makes no difference. Education makes no difference. It is  something in man to want to be remembered.
Perhaps it comes from seeing the world in all its' ageless wonder. Mountains,rivers,the plains and the valleys. To stare into the night sky and marvel at the stars. Perhaps it is just that we want our dreams to live on. For I do believe someone is never truly gone as long as their memory is kept alive.
And along with their memory,their dreams.
Not everyone will share their dreams with everyone. Some are afraid of ridicule and others are ashamed. I do think that most of us do not share all our dreams even with those closest to us. Some dreams are kept private. There is nothing wrong with that. Often times secrets,any secret,is automatically assumed to be a dark secret but why should that be so ? Good dreams can be kept a secret too. I find that putting voice to the dream takes away some of it's power. Makes it somehow less of a dream and closer to reality. And reality my friends is not always the most pleasant of things.
Does it count to be remembered by those that never met you ? What I mean to say is, does it count that I know the name of my 10th Great Grandfather ? Or that I can name distant cousins. Having never known these people I can not know their minds or their dreams. Yet I know their names and think about who they may have been. Going by the context of their times I can surmise some of their thinking and beliefs. I can get a sense of what it may have been like for them during their time on this planet.
I find it necessary to answer that question with a yes. If I don't, I can't justify my own existence. Our time on this earth is so very short. Our contribution to history is so very small. I am no more than a paragraph in the story and that is if I am one of the lucky ones. Some of us are no more than footnotes. Those that came before us helped pave the way. They are the ones that marked the highway. We may make a few roads of our own ,that is true, but we did need a starting point.
I can not believe all this is just a random thing. A star explodes and here we are. Not too likely. All that came before me wasn't just a haphazard chain of events. I have to believe there is a purpose in it all. I also believe it doesn't end with me either. To believe that would be ludicrous. What the ultimate goal or purpose is I have no idea. To know that would be to know the mind of God.
We are just mortals and can not know. I just know I want to be remembered. I want my contribution to be acknowledged. The final reward is a life well lived.
The length of time on this earth is not as important as what we did with it. To have lived and loved. And the measure of that is: being remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment