Thursday, September 29, 2011

Mr. Rooney

Yesterday I heard that Andy Rooney will be leaving sixty minutes. His last appearance will be this Sunday. I will be sure to tune in. I didn't realize he was 92. I've always enjoyed his commentary. Straightforward ,no nonsense kind of reporting. His opinion and his truth. I admire that.
A man that saw and reported on the second world war. He has definitely seen the best and worst in man. He will be missed.
I admire his tenacity. I admire his love for journalism. Truly ,he must feel a deep passion for his craft to have kept at it for as long as he has. I'm quite sure he could have retired many years ago. But it wasn't the financial gain that has kept him going. What exactly it is I can't say,not knowing him personally. I have my feelings though. I do feel that Mr. Rooney truly finds life and all of its' happenings quite interesting. I feel like it is part of his nature to report the facts as he sees them.
I must be getting old. All the great ones are leaving. Walter Cronkite,David Brinkley and now Andy Rooney. All great reporters and newsmen. All these men whose characters are untouchable. These men that told their stories ,there way. No agendas. All those men are part of the greatest generation. Those men that did what was necessary for the nation and didn't cry about it later. Men that spoke their minds. 
Yes, I'm going to miss Andy. 

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way...another icon leaving the job he did so well. I may not have watched every 60 Minutes, but if possible, I caught that last bit with Andy. Sad to see him going off to retirement. My bet is, though that someone will still be hearing his commentaries, even if not on camera for the world! You can't teach an old dog new tricks!

    ReplyDelete