Saturday, September 24, 2011

To be a better man

My grand son is invited to a birthday party today. Not an unusual thing. This one is a little different though. The young lady whose birthday it is ,is a special friend of his. I wouldn't say girlfriend as they are only ten but his first girl/boy party to be sure. He agonized over the gift and is even a little concerned about what to wear. A definite sign he is growing up.
What I was thinking about was how honest they are. Some people may call it innocence but I wouldn't. They enjoy each others company. It is as plain and simple as that. Unencumbered. They are not concerned with appearances or social classes. They are friends as only children can be friends. It is a wonderful thing.
I was thinking what a wonderful thing it would be if only we all could be that way. What a wonderful thing if only we all could have remained that way is the more accurate statement. To not have let social convention and bigotry influence us. I imagine that was the way of Jesus. And isn't that what religion is all about. To strive to love one another as children love one another ?
We all know that children can be the cruelest of creatures. They will say and do terrible things to one another. And even now we have to address the matter of bullies. Yet it is children that can care for one another more deeply and honestly than any others. To just accept someone for who they are,not what they are.
Through my grand children I can again see the world as it once existed for me. There was a time when I too could just enjoy someone for who they were. A time when I gave no thought to their appearance or social standing. Then, I grew up. Oh,there are some that would argue that point, but I did. As much as I hate to admit it, I have been influenced. I have prejudices. Now it is a struggle to overcome those shortcomings. To try to return to that time.
It is difficult given the times we live in. In reality, at any time I'm sure. There are bad people about. The ones that would use you for their own devices. The con men,the abusers and the deceitful. We do need to live with an awareness of them. It is those very people that influence our actions in a negative way. It is an age old dilemma.
It is the simple things in life that stir my thoughts. Seeing Mark so excited about going to a party. Seeing him excited about spending time with his friend.
Wishing that somehow he may not lose that freedom. The freedom to just love.
Changes occur rapidly and this relationship may change at any moment. I am aware of that but he is not. Nor is she. That is part of the growing up process as well. I'm going to go out on a limb here. I'm going to say they remain friends for many years to come. The operative word being friends. Relationships are something would be adults talk about. But that is another topic altogether. One day I'll share my thoughts about that as well.
I hope Mark enjoys the party. I hope he continues to enjoy his friends. I'm hoping too,that along the way Mark can reject the bad influences. I'm hoping for him to be a better man. Isn't that what we all want for our children or grand children? Indeed for all mankind. To be a better man.

No comments:

Post a Comment