Wednesday, August 31, 2011

An unexpected kindness

Don't you just love it when someone does something that just makes you smile ? A small act or gesture. It is a confirmation of your own existence and that you matter. We all need this. All of us want to be acknowledged as making a contribution to life and to society. To know that someone cares. To know that we are appreciated.
It is the unsolicited acts that are best. Acts done for no other purpose than to make someone happy. Acts done under no other obligation or pretense. Not birthday gifts or Christmas gifts. Not things that have been planned out and thought about for days or weeks. No, I'm talking about the totally random act of kindness that can only come from the heart. These are the priceless gifts.
These small acts may cost nothing at all monetarily. But they do cost the person giving it their time. And time,is one thing that can never be replaced or regained. Time is our most precious of commodities.
I was the recipent of such a kindness when I awoke this morning. It made me smile. I am pleased. I don't need to name the person that performed this kindness,he/she knows who they are. Notice the he/she there so as to give no clue ? My day has begun with a smile. Thank You.
In the big scheme and big picture of life it is truly the little things that count.
I preach it all the time, it's in the details. The little details are what complete the project. And this morning a little "gingerbread trim " was added to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment