Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Day

August 9,1971. A day I will forever remember. That is the day I stepped onto the Long Island Railroad and headed west to New York City. My best friend and I had joined the U.S.Navy and today was induction day.
I vividly remember standing on that train platform struggling with my emotions. Mom and Dad were there and Mom was sniffling a bit and holding back tears. My father was stoic as always. I kept a stiff upper lip as the British say and managed to reassure Mom I'd be fine. When it came time to board that train, Dad shook my hand with a firm grip and said see you soon. That was that and the " adventure " began.
We made our way to Fort Hamilton. From there we were hustled about all day. Follow that line on the floor. Wait. Get your eyes checked. Wait. Get your feet looked at. Wait. And on and on it went. Finally we were ushered into a large room. There in the front of this room stood a man in uniform. A colonel I believe. He informed us all that he would perform the induction ceremony. He also said if anyone  has second thoughts now is the time to say so and walk out ! No one did.
We all raised our right hands and repeated the words. I promise to defend the country against all enemies foreign and domestic,to obey all orders, etc. etc. so help me God. That was it. My friend and I were official seamen recruits in the U.S.Navy.
August 9,1971 was also the first day I took an airplane ride. We were flown from New York to Chicagos' O'Hare airport. It was big doings for this island boy. From the airport a bus took us to the training center.
Eventually I was assigned to a rifle company and my friend was assigned to the band. I only passed him a couple times during basic training and we were never allowed to speak to one another. Basic training lasted thirteen weeks and I must say the time went quickly. I found nothing particulary difficult about it. Just do what you are told and keep your mouth shut !
It is hard to realize that that was forty years ago. I retired from the Navy in 1993. My friend got out after his first hitch. I have a lot of fond memories of my days in the service. I certainly never expected that when I went west that day I would never return to live in my hometown again. It was a fateful day to be sure.
Also on this day,eight years ago,one of my sons got married. Ken married Jennifer. So now I have another reason to remember this date.


No comments:

Post a Comment