Saturday, August 20, 2011

Keeping it special

The kids go back to school next week. Because of that I am taking my grandson camping again. It will be the last hooray of summer vacation. Soccer begins next week as well. So between school,homework and soccer his time is pretty much spent. It will be time to change gears and get into the groove.
I took him camping one other time earlier in the year. We both had a real good time. Cooking food on an open fire,fishing and sleeping in our clothes. Arrg, just like real men do ! Even used the local bushes for an outhouse,how manly is that !
My wife suggested that we should go camping more frequently. My reply was no, I'd like to keep that as special. It is only special when done in moderation. Start doing it too often and it loses that special feel. It becomes commonplace.
By spreading these adventures out we can enjoy that special time over a much longer period of time. Years in fact. As long as my body holds up at least. I have found sleeping on the ground takes more of a toll on me that it used too.
I can not say whether it was by design or just coincidence but my father didn't spend too much time playing with us kids. The times that he did were, and still are very special times. I remember each and every one of them. Yes,they were that infrequent.
This same philosophy applies to other areas as well. Certain foods or treats. Going to the movies or a certain beach. Whatever the situation you can make it special. Traditions fall into this category as well. The action must be repeated but not too often. It is a temptation to spoil them with whatever they enjoy. To take them,buy them,give them or indulge their wishes. It isn't always easy to say no. I do make a conscious decision about this.

from last camping trip,we have fire !!

I'm looking forward to this weekend adventure. Maybe we will get rain and have to sit in the tent. That would be fun. We can play cards. The weather should be great though. Not too hot, and comfortable at night. I'm sure it will another special time between Grandfather and Grandson. Making memories together. Isn't that what life is all about ?

No comments:

Post a Comment