Sunday, August 21, 2011

For the common good.

Have we regulated ourselves into sufficiency ? I was always told to strive to be self sufficient. To be independent. It is a cornerstone of the American dream. To be able by your own hard work,sweat and dedication to build your future and a better life. Every day it seems like there are more rules and regulations to be followed before this dream can be realized. In the interest of fair play and avoiding lawsuits have we regulated away our freedoms ?
Was a time when I could do things for myself. If I needed an addition on my home I could build it. Now I need a permit,a site plan,environmental impact studies,and God only knows what else before I can even think about it. And even then I have to pay some inspector to approve the construction when it is done. There is very little I can do without some government agency requiring, at the very least, a permit. I can't have a yard sale without a permit. ( I know it is seldom enforced but that is not my point).
Oh, I know all the reasons behind all this regulation. Public health and safety. And because your neighbors can be idiots ! Yes, someone would try to raise cattle in their backyard. It is a shame when we have to spell out common sense in order for people to understand. But I can't help but think we are regulating ourselves way beyond the point of reason.
As with most things, the almighty dollar enters into the equation. Somebody wants their cut. It would be a terrible shame for me to make a few bucks and not have to share it with others. Whether it is a fee or a tax makes little difference to me. It is still money from my pocket.
And so I have become somewhat sufficient. I am forced to hire contractors and other professionals because I can not (by regulation) do it myself. Could I generate my own electricity ? Sure,after obtaining the proper permits and such. Probably would have to apply for a variance. Can I drill my own well and pump my own water ? Nope ! Not in town you can't. All kinds of rules and regulations apply. And so it goes.
All the land is owned by somebody. No more settling down and staking a claim. That must have been an exciting time. Also a dangerous one. I think I would have liked it though. I like doing things myself and doing it my way. It is the way I was raised. Unfortunately, government regulations prevent a lot of it.
I guess it is for the common good, but from where I stand, no good for the common man.

No comments:

Post a Comment