Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hand to Hoof

I just heard that the deer hunting season is about to start here in Maryland. Not being a hunter, and having little interest in it, this information has little meaning to me.I'm disinterested to say the least. I have no objection to those that wish to hunt anything legal and do it within' the guidelines. My only thing is if you shoot it, you should eat it. To kill just for the sport of killing makes no sense to me whatsoever. So what I'm about to say has no basis in morality or being an animal lover. I'm just sayin".
As I understand it most of these " hunters " sit up in a tree stand and wait for their prey to walk within range. Then, being the mighty hunters that they are, they ambush them. I fail to see how this is hunting. More like waiting for the game to come to you, than hunting for the game. Maybe it is just me but hunting implies;well; hunting. Bushwacking isn't my thing.
I'll see the boys at the local shops getting coffee in the early mornin'. They will be dressed in camouflage from head to toe. Their guns and bows are camouflaged.They smear green makeup on their faces. Some will even poor deer scent ( deer pee pee ) over their clothes. Then jumping into their camouflaged vehicles they head to the woods,mostly at the edge of a clearing,and climb up the tree with their stand. Now I admit I know little about the habits of deer but I have seen them in the wild. They don't go around looking up in the trees. They are not afraid of a squirrel attack ! So why the camo ? I know deer don't mate in the tree tops so why scent yourself up ? Maybe them deer didn't see that four wheel drive three quarter ton pickup pull up, but I 'm betting they heard it. It all just seems a little silly to me. I'm certain I could sit in a tree wearing nothing but my everyday street clothes and ambush a deer that happened to walk under me.
The duck hunters are even more silly in my opinion. You hide in a blind ! A blind,so named because it is supposed to make you invisible to the ducks. Making them " BLIND " So why are you wearing that camo suit ? When you pop up out of that blind, gun blazing, your cover has been blown. No need for camo ! Is the camo supposed to hide you when walking into the blind ? Do you really think the ducks have someone taking notes about this ? " Two hunters in that blind on the left,I seen'em walk in."
I guess it is sport. A lot of guys do it. It makes them feel manly I guess. I know when they talk about it they swear alot and brag about their shooting skills. It is just something I don't get. If I were to decide to go hunting I would want to hunt. Walk through the forest and stalk the game. Try to sneak up close enough to get the shot. That could be fun. Hunting as a sport should be a challenge. I can't see the challenge in baiting a spot on the ground and then sitting in a tree waiting for the ambush. A real man will face them on their own level and take them on hand to hoof ! That's what I call hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment