Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sacrifice

The government needs to save money and balance the budget. No news there.
We just borrowed a bunch more for a temporary fix,again. As soon as congress gets done vacationing they may or may not get back to work on the problem. In the meantime the President is out campaigning in a million dollar tour bus. One of several, by the way, the secret service recently purchased. Wonder what the fuel mileage estimate on those are ? The president told the automakers to quit making suvs, as they are not fuel efficient. But I digress.
As I was watching the evening news they reported on a plan to revamp the military retirement system. Being a retired military member this caught my attention. Seems as though some want to scrap the present system altogether and go with a type of 401 plan. The government would contribute and so would the member. Given the market these last few years I wonder how much security that could offer ? Also you have to wait until normal retirement age to start collecting these benefits. What is that now, 68 ?
Let me say this; after twenty years of service a member is currently entitled to 50% of their base salary, subject to taxes in most states,for life. I don't have current figures but when I retired the life expectancy for a retired military member was ten years.
If you serve in Congress,the Senate or the house for two years you get a tax free pension, for life ! No one is talking about changing that. And oh by the way you get to keep certain perks along with that.
If you serve twenty years in the military as say,a tank commander,what civilian job do you think you are qualified to do ? Or you were a commando. Any number of vital positions come to mind.
I see a lot of flag waving and let's appreciate the sacrifices our troops are making. Now I'm hearing they are too expensive. The average retirement that a military retiree receives is a very small amount compared to congressional pay, I can assure you. In order for my wife to receive anything after my passing I have to pay for a insurance plan. And then the best she could get is 50% of my 50%.
America saying thank you to the spouses I suppose. The ones that stayed at home raising the children and worrying each day about the safety of their loved one. The person that for months,sometimes a year,had to be both parents.
I agree the government needs to find a solution to the budget problem. But to even consider placing the burden on our military,as if they don't have enough of a burden,is just crazy talk. I speak from first hand experience. After spending six months at sea, missing Thanksgiving,Christmas,New Year and the fourth of July you get just a little bit,shall I say it,less patriotic. Your enlistment is about to expire and you are thinking I could have been home. But then you realize you have already invested ten years in this and in another ten I can retire. I'm half way there. You reenlist. If the choice was in another ten years I could retire and then wait another 25 or 30 years to receive a pension my decision may not have been the same. Irregardless of what you may hear love of country only goes so far and economics enter into the equation. Let's see, I can make " x " amount of dollars by being shot at or " x " amount of dollars working in the factory. Hmm. Tough choice.
Ready for the Parade (2007)
Look I'm just sayin'. I keep hearin' about cuts in social security and now I'm hearing about scrapping the military retirement system. I'm not hearing about any Congressmen,Senators,Representatives,Vice Presidents or Presidents talking about their retirement packages ! I don't hear any talk of reducing their salaries or benefits. What is that saying ? Charity begins at home.
Thanks for reading. I had to get that off my chest. I can't believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment