Saturday, August 13, 2011

Senseless

A tragic and senseless act has been committed here in Greensboro. A group,as I'm sure it took more than one,has desecrated one of the oldest cemeteries in town. In what I can only describe as a thoughtless act, tombstones were ripped from the ground and several others pushed over. What the motivation for such a despicable act could be I can only speculate.
In this cemetery is interred the founder of the town along with his family and descendants. Some of the markers destroyed belong to them. One marker in particular,a tall white marble obelisk 150 years old,was pushed over.
I am not a native of this town. I have no one buried in that cemetery. I do however, feel the anger that those that do, must feel. To have the resting place of your ancestors disturbed is an awful thing. For that is where your true roots lie. Buried six foot deep into that soil and now spread out over 150 years of growth. It is one of the most senseless acts I can imagine.
The majority of the population is still native born. During the big housing boom quite a few people from away moved here. There is a difference in attitude and connection between the two. I'm quite sure those that were born here and their parents and grandparents before them are justifiably enraged. As I said, I'm not and I am both enraged and saddened. I certainly hope they catch the perpetrators.
a portion of the old Methodist cemetery
The historical society will accepting donations for the repairs. This old burial ground has been unused for many years. It is on the grounds of what was the first Methodist Church in Greensboro. The original bell from the steeple is mounted and preserved in this spot as well. It is truly a sad thing to see crime scene tape surrounding the graveyard. This is modern day living ? This is progress ? I always wondered why my Great Grandfather would say," What is the world  coming too " whenever something really bad would happen. I think now I know why.

1 comment:

  1. We've seen that happen in our native area, and I agree with you that this vandalism is extremely senseless. I see no point in tipping over or breaking stones that mark the place where anyone is interred. I feel the same way when highways are widened, and grave sites are discovered or upset. Why isn't there proper investigation done BEFORE the project is started, in order to avoid and prevent such destruction. I hope they find the culprits...and give them a proper punishment. (perhaps placing them in stocks at the center of town and allowing everyone to plaster them with words, water balloons, or maybe peices of the actual gravestones they've destroyed!)

    ReplyDelete