Friday, June 3, 2011

Sounds in the Night

When I was a small boy growing up on Long Island we lived in a corner of Northwest woods. These woods were my " Hundred Acre Woods " just like in the Winnie the Pooh stories. I ran and played throughout these woods. Had tree forts and underground forts. Foot paths leading to different locations. I pretty much knew all the territory within a quarter of a mile of home. When you are a little, a quarter of a mile is a good distance away. You can still hear Mom calling though.
I was familar with most of the local fauna. I knew what animals were about. There were deer in those woods. I always made too much noise so I never saw them,unless at a good distance. They were the largest animal in the wood. There are no poisionious snakes to worry about. As far as woods go,pretty safe environment. You did need to check for ticks though. I had 'em aplenty. I can remember them starting to burrow into your skin. Dad would light a match and then blow it out.While it was still hot he would quickly press it against your skin where the ticks head was. That tick would back out,quick. Snatch him up and flush him down the toliet. That was the standard procedure.
In the early evening,just after dark,you would hear the whipporwills start. Now a whipporwill is nothing more than a small bird.Not much larger than a Robin.They are nocturnal and fly around eating insects. When I was a small child I didn't know that. I had an irrational fear of them as well. I don't recall ever seeing one, but I heard them alright. That lonesome call scared the beJesus outa me. To this day I have no idea way that is. My older brothers would push me outside and lock the door. I can remember standing on the porch just a hollerin'.They ,of course,thought it was hilarious. Aren't older siblings wonderful ?
At some point this fear passed. I came to like the sound of the Whipporwill. I still do but I have never heard one here in Greensboro. I have only seen pictures of them. Never have I seen one in the wild. Elusive little rascals. Haven't spent much time looking for one either.
katy-did
The other sound in the evening I particuraly enjoy is a katy-did. I've seen plenty of Katy-dids. I've listened to them for hours saying,katy-did,katy-didn't,katy-did,katy-didn't. Only the male katy-dids make this sound. It is to attract a mate. Some katy-dids did because there are a whole lot of them around. Katy-didn't aren't as popular. A little backwoods humor there ! (very little) I haven't heard any katy-dids here either,come to think of it. The hotter the nights got ,the more of them you would hear. They are in the cricket family.
Where I live in Greensboro I mostly hear the feral cats  at night. All that noise. I do hear tree frogs. The night sounds are not the same as Northwest Woods that is for sure. I miss those sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment