Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sometimes we Lie

With age comes wisdom. Heard that somewhere, but doubt the validity of the statement. With age comes finally telling the truth ! When we get old enough,and that varies by person, we begin to tell the truth. The truth to others but more importantly, to ourselves.
I'll start. I never really enjoyed the taste of any beer. I enjoyed the effects of drinking the beer. Oh,I'd agree that some brands have a better taste than others,but none have what I consider to be an enjoyable flavor. It was a lie I told myself and others. When someone tells you, " it is an acquired taste " look out. It is more than likely not pleasant tasting. People " acquire " a taste for something for various reasons. Usually, I think, to try to impress others with their great taste. A little bit ironic,don't you think ? At my age I either like it or I don't. I really don't want to "acquire" anything anymore.
I wore clothing that was "fashionable" but I really didn't like it. For those of you old enough to remember,I thought beetle boots were stupid looking, but I wore them. Never could bring myself to put on a leisure suit though.
Some things others lie about. These are just my speculation, and opinion.
Eating really hot, hot wings. I think some guys eat that just to prove they are a man. Chili too. I fail to see how anything that turns your face red and makes you sweat can be enjoyable. I think it's a lie. That fad is dying out a bit.
Professing that Starbucks coffee is so great. If I paid five bucks for a cup of coffee I'd tell you it was great too ! It's a lie. Had one once,tasted like coffee to me, .79 cent cup tasted the same. I think there is a bunch of stuff like that. If it is expensive people tend to say how great it is. That is not always the case,so little lies.
Having these blackberry phones or whatever they call them. A device stuck in their ear because, " I have such important business ". It's a lie. They just want the latest thing. Not that there is anything wrong with that but will they want/have them say ten years from now ? Doubt it.
It's a quandary alright. When you are young you need to "fit" in. Wearing silly clothes and swearing to like things you really don't. This time frame is different for all of us. If you reach an advanced age and continue in this way you may be labeled, eccentric. On the other hand,if you start telling the truth,you may be labeled as difficult. Or they will call you senile, LOL.
I never drank a beer to feel refreshed. I never smoked a cigarette because I enjoyed the flavor. I never really enjoyed carnival rides like roller coasters and the whip. There are foods I don't like no matter how popular they may become.
I don't like swimming in the ocean. Truth is, I don't like swimming. I don't care about football or basketball. And, I'm not comfortable with public displays of affection ! There I said it.

1 comment:

  1. Reminde me of the Emperor's new clothes! So true. And I have never liked the taste of beer - or coffee - and never partake in either, regardless of the strange looks I get when I voice that opinion. And then there's seafood....

    ReplyDelete