Saturday, June 4, 2011

Matt Dillon

I'm writing this a bit early. It is Friday night. Normally,I write my blog first thing in the morning but I just learned that James Arness of Gunsmoke fame has passed away. My initial reaction was; Matt has joined Kitty for good.
I loved the show Gunsmoke. Matt Dillon,U.S.Marshall. The man. A towering figure of a man . Never swayed by anything other than the truth. You could not bribe him,lie to him,sweet talk him, or fool him. A man of undying principal. Loyal.Trustworthy.A friend.If you were going to fight that was the man you wanted on your side.His judgement was impeccable.His nerve unshakable.Fearless.Compassionate.Merciful.He was Matt.
I am not one much for heroes.To me,they are far and few between.I am not much for celebrities either. Growing up where I did I saw a few.Never collected autographs. Some celebrities I would like to meet and others I could care less. Take it or leave it,that's my attitude. After all,they are just people.
I grew up with Matt Dillon. He loved Miss Kitty. You knew that. It was just- a fact ! Unless you are a die hard fan you would be hard pressed to tell of a single scene where he acknowledged that. You would be hard pressed to recall a single episode where Matt ever held her hand. Miss Kitty poured Matt a few beers and asked him to reconsider before a Gunfight but that was as close as it got.Kitty was a tough girl and we appreciated that.She could be all frills and lace but no nonsense.Matt was the man!
That is what I grew up with.That is what I thought a man should be.Matt Dillon was a shining example of manhood.For twenty years, that show was the model.Toby Keith even wrote a song about it.
The relationship between Matt and Kitty was implied. Unlike today's shows where everything is shown in detail, that was left to the viewers imagination.You knew that Matt loved Miss Kitty.Miss Kitty loved Matt.They were equals.Matt was the example of what all men should be. Miss Kitty was a lady through and through.Matt saw her in that light despite her implied past.
It was just a fictional story in a fictional town.Characters on TV.But it was also a social conscience.Instructions for living.Matt never killed anyone that didn't need killing ! He stood for everything that was good and just in the world.Relentless in his pursuit of justice.He was loved and admired by everyone.I'm thinking if we could get these kids today to watch a few episodes of Gunsmoke it might clear up some of the social issues we are having.Then follow that up with a season or two of the Waltons !
Rest in Peace Mr. Arness.I'm sure Miss Kitty has a beer waiting for you. You can finaly walk off into the sunset hand in hand. That was the way I always thought the show would end.

No comments:

Post a Comment