Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A matter of perception

If I were on TV I'd probably be in my seventies. At least I think that is the way it would show up. Television lighting and the makeup must do strange things to peoples apparent ages. Ever notice that yourself ? Of course, a lot of it has to do with the product being hawked or the storyline.
If it's a vitamin or some supplement to keep you fit and young you will see seventy year old men and women jogging,riding bicycles and playing tennis. They are fit and trim with just a touch of gray hair and a few wrinkles for realism. If it is an insurance plan, well, I've fallen and I can't get up !
This scenario holds true for most advertising. There are a few twists thrown in every once and awhile. The drug companies will tell you how you can't start too soon taking certain supplements. When you are young they help build lean muscle and give you more energy. When you are old these same supplements will fortify and repair damaged muscles. We even need to start taking lubricants for our joints ! Maybe in the future we will be equipped with a few grease fittings to keep them joints loosened up.
A poll was taken and most "baby boomers" answered that old age started at about age 72. Whew, I've got a little time left. On television that age varies greatly. How old are most Grandparents portrayed ? A lot older than we are ,that is for sure. All their children must have been late bloomers. I don't have the stats on that but I know a lot of Grandparents in their forties. Great Grandparents are seldom seen on television shows unless it is a story about some Biblical figure or something. The implication being you would have to be that old !
Now when it comes to children they are usually portrayed as acting a lot older than they actually are. In almost all shows they could be 14 but speak and act like they are in their twenties. Even the ones that are supposed to be immature and intellectually challenged are witty,funny and have amazing insights into the human condition. They look a few years older too. Guess that makeup and lighting ages you. Shoot, they have babies on TV that are walking and talking by six months.
Well,I 'll never have to worry about that anyway. I don't think I'll be starting an acting career any time soon. I never was one to think much about how old or young I look. It is what it is. Makeup and lighting can make all the difference. For us normal people, dim lighting works best and try not to use old cliches and out of date expressions. You know like, twenty three ski-do or something.
Try  sentences like, me and my BFF were hangin' at the Mall chillin' or I'm down with that . Sounds younger. After all, age is just a matter of perception.

No comments:

Post a Comment