Friday, June 10, 2011

" Boys Harbor "

Just down the road, a short distance from my home, was a boys camp. I would see the entrance to this camp as I was on my way to the beach. The drive was flanked on either side by white picket fences. Just about three sections on each side. A smallish sign announced this as " Boys Harbor."
All I knew of this place was it was a camp for underprivildged kids. At that time, all that meant to me was, they were poor,they probably were trouble makers and they came from the city. And, out of the three being from the city was the worst trait. Being poor was no big deal,a lot of us were poor. Being a troublemaker,well that went along with being from the city. If you came from the city you stood a good chance of being a gang member. Why everyone knew them city kids were trouble ! But in the city there were these rich folks that wanted to help people. I always figured they did it because they felt guilty having so much. They wanted to kinda smooth out the path the heaven.
A gentleman by the name of Duke owned this camp. I heard that it was a non-profit organization. Looked like that man already had enough money, so it seemed reasonable. One summer, while I was working at the local gas station, this Mr. Duke left a car there. It was a big mercedes benz. The one that looks similar to a Rolls Royce. It was a fine automobile and ran great. He left that car there and said to sell it.He had no use for it. It was hard for me to imagine having that kind of money. To just say, sell it for whatever you can get. Acted like he didn't even care.
Looking back I can't say I ever saw any of these underprivildged boys. I really don't know if they ever left the camp. I don't know how long they stayed at the camp either.I don't recall any stories about them.The camp was there and I paid it little mind.In my view of things, only rich kids and troublemakers went to camp.The rich went to ride horses and sit around campfires.The troublemakers were sent there to straighten them out.My summer vacation was spent entertaining myself or working when I was old enough. The closet I ever came to camp was vacation bible school.
I just read that this camp was sold. The town and the county have jointly purchased the property. They got it for a steal, 7.2 million dollars. Mr. Duke sold it cheap with the stipulation it never be developed. Good for him. I am pleased that the land will remain unspoiled. What the exact plan for its' future use is I'm not sure.
The camp operated for many years. I'm sure some boys must have been helped. I know nothing of what programs may have been offered there. I did wonder if I got in trouble if I would be sent to camp. I already knew that answer though, NO ! When I got in trouble the punishment was swift and sure. We were poor enough alright,too poor to go camp that was for sure. Maybe if I moved to the city ? Nah,wouldn't be worth it. I did think the name " Boys Harbor " was a good one,given its' purpose. Any port in a storm ! Hope some of those boys found a safe harbor and settled down.

No comments:

Post a Comment