Sunday, June 19, 2011

Disillusioned

Today I learned that there will be no parade for the Fourth of July here in Greensboro,Md. A lack of interest and the commercial viability being the contributing factors to this sad state of affairs.
We did not have a parade for Memorial Day. That was usual for here. The little league parade did go as scheduled  however. The fireman's carnival will be held,on schedule, complete with fireworks. That is the big fund raiser for the Firemen and I understand the importance of it. Still,I can't help but wonder how this can be allowed to occur. No parade for the fourth of July ! Greensboro is in AMERICA ! In an earlier blog I told how I tried to recruit Veterans,any veterans,to march in parades to no avail. I did not have even one respondent. As far as I know the  Veterans group only activity is having a dance on Saturday night. The only conclusion one can draw from all of this is a lack of pride and patriotism in Greensboro.
I know all the arguments. If you have seen one Greensboro parade you have seen them all. True,that way in most small towns I imagine. Not many people are coming to the parades anymore. Probably true, but do real numbers exist or are we going on perception ? The cost. Well I suppose it does cost something for fuel for the trucks and the police department. I  would be interested to know what the cost is ? And finally the kicker, lack of interest. No one wanted to organize the parade. Well, I for one did not know we needed someone to do that job ! The town never let it be known. I have been informed that the Fire company was the usual organizer for this parade and it was not the towns responsibility.
As a retired Navy veteran I am ashamed. How could this be allowed to happen. The fourth of July is to celebrate the birth of our nation. We are going to let that slide for indifference. Neither the fire company nor the town would plan this event ? What of the Veterans ? I do not belong to any of the veterans groups here in this area and I am glad I don't. They readily accept the tax breaks and other benefits provided by the government but are unwilling to celebrate the birth of the country ! Shameful ! Surely some of them belong to the fire company as well.
If there is an event where money is to be made I'm sure a parade would be organized, pronto. For shame Greensboro,for shame. And shame on any Veteran that was aware of this.
I will let my displeasure be known. Bucking the " good old boys network " is an unpleasant task. I suppose I'll just be labeled as an old fool or troublemaker. So be it. The time is too short to get anything together now but perhaps next year. My name will be at the top of the list should they need someone to organize !

No comments:

Post a Comment