Sunday, June 12, 2011

A different view

I was talking with my older sister last night. I don't often get the chance to see her as she lives in Florida. I call her, but it is difficult to reach her sometimes. Each of us being busy living our lives. My sister doesn't do the computer much. If I send her e-mail she may or may not open it . If her husband doesn't bring It to her attention,well,forget about it.
The last few years I have been in touch with her more frequently than in the past. I find as you get older you like to talk about the past a little more. I am always struck by the fact that she sees things so differently than I remember. She is two years older than I. You have heard the saying, look through my eyes and the view is different. That is certainly a true statement. She is also amused by my recollections.
We all tend to remember what we choose to remember. We can also conveniently forget certain things, or episodes. Selective memory is a wonderful thing. It is one of Gods little miracles. I do enjoy our chats about the past and seeing it from a different angle. We are way past the point of debate. I remember it this way and you remember that. We both accept it for what it is. Neither of us are bitter over anything and that is a good thing.
Her life is quite a bit different than mine. We share a few common things. Besides the obvious,her husband retired from the Air Force and I retired from the Navy. She had two kids and I have three. We both have grandchildren.
That is about were the similarity ends however. Nothing wrong with that. She has been married to the same man all her life. They have built their life together. I am very happy for her.
This may sound a bit sexist but being a boy and girl we do remember different things. I can tell you every car we had. The year,make and model. It's a guy thing. I can remember building things. My sister remembers the girl things. Baking and recipes. Gossip too. Not that Guys don't gossip ! We just gossip about different stuff. So, not only do I hear a different story, but it is told from a totally different view. Each time we talk I learn something new. Sometimes I do have to straighten her out. She got the story all wrong. We always end up laughing about that stuff.
I have spent far more time separated from my sister than I have being with her. She was busy living and so was I. At one point she was living in Germany and I was in Virginia. There was a period of ten years when I didn't see her at all. Her children were all grown before I ever got to meet them. She lives in Florida and I in Maryland. I can't see me traveling down there anytime soon and I don't think she will be coming to Greensboro.
Well,maybe we will get together before another decade passes. I hope so. It would be nice to just sit and talk. I'd like to spend some time with her when we could just relax. Not vacationing, just visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment