Friday, June 17, 2011

Heads Up

When I was young my Dad had a night job so he would sleep during the day. In the afternoon,during the summer months, Mom would take us to the beach to get us out of the house. Dad could finally have some peace and quiet.
We usually went to a beach called Sammys' beach. I found years later it is correctly named, Sammis beach. Sammis was someones surname.
I am the youngest of the brood. I was playing along the edge of the water. My brother was out a ways and diving for clams. I remember him popping up and yelling I got one. He was waving his hands around and bouncing up and down.
I yelled to him to throw it to me. He threw that skimmer clam in a big arc. I made the attempt at catching it but mistimed it. That clam landed squarely on top of my head. I went to one knee and commenced to crying. Mom hollers, come here and I'll look at it. Going up to Mom I bent over and the blood started flowing. My Mother is not good with wounds or blood ! She started to freak out ! A neighbor lady was there and she was completely cool in a crisis.
She grabbed a beach towel and soaked it quickly in salt water. She put that towel on my head and told me to hold down on it ,hard ! That salt water was stinging something awful ! She told me the stinging meant it was working. Exactly what was working I have no idea, but I felt better knowing that.
Then we all loaded up and headed for the local clinic. It is a distance of about three miles or so but sure seemed longer. Prior to this trip I don't believe I had ever been to a doctor before. Well,except to be born I guess. Anyway, I was pretty anxious about what would happen. When we arrived the nurse took down the information and said, Dr. Abel will be right with you. Now terror set in ! Dr. Abel aka the slasher ! We had all heard the stories about him. A fine doctor to be sure and extremely knowledgeable but quick to cut. I'm already cut so maybe I'll be spared.
Dr. Abel shaved a small spot around that cut on the top of my head. He used what he called staples to close the wound. I remember the instructions to not go to sleep for a while and after I did for Mom to check on me. Holy Cow was I going to die ! But,that was it. It healed up fine,still have the scar,and I didn't die. Some say I wasn't the same after that. My catching skills improved and there has not been a repeat. I also learned that if you get hurt,don't run to Mom.
Later I learned if you get hurt Dad will help but you may not want him too ! You might be better off taking your chances. Let's just say his bedside manner is not the most compassionate. But that is another memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment